Stan Sheriff Center
The Aloha Dome
|Former names||Special Events Arena (1994–1998)|
|Location||1355 Lower Campus Drive|
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96822-2312
|Owner||University of Hawaii at Manoa|
|Operator||University of Hawaii at Manoa|
|Broke ground||December 1992|
|Opened||October 21, 1994|
|Construction cost||$32.24 million|
($54.5 million in 2018 dollars)
|Architect||Kauahikaua and Chun (Honolulu)|
Heery Architects (Atlanta)
|General contractor||Charles Pankow Builders, Ltd.|
|Hawaii Rainbow Wahine (women's basketball, women's volleyball)|
Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (men's basketball, men's volleyball)
Diamond Head Classic
The Stan Sheriff Center is a 10,300-seat multi-purpose arena in Honolulu CDP, City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii, on the campus of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Initially named the Special Events Arena when it opened in 1994, the arena was renamed in 1998 after Stan Sheriff (1932–1993), a former UH athletic director who lobbied for its construction.
On May 12, 1998, the Miss Universe pageant was held at the Center. As Hawaii's largest indoor arena, the Stan Sheriff Center is the site of many major concert tours in Honolulu. Concert capacity is 11,000 for an end-stage show and 11,300 for a center-stage show.
World Championship Wrestling used the Stan Sheriff Center as its Hawaiian stop from 1994 until the organization folded in 2001.
The arena hosted two NBA preseason games between the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz on October 4 and 6, 2015. Both were designated as Lakers home games; the Jazz swept the short series, winning the second game in overtime.
The arena again hosted two NBA preseason games between the Los Angeles Clippers and Toronto Raptors on October 1 and 3, 2017. Toronto ended up winning the first game, while the Clippers won the second game. The Clippers returned in 2018 for a preseason game against the Sydney Kings.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Torres, Maria (June 1, 1993). "30: Charles Pankow Builders Ltd. (Corporate Anniversaries) (Company Profile)". Hawaii Business. Archived from the original on March 29, 2015. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Honolulu CDP, HI." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 21, 2009.
- Pageant has isles sitting pretty
- Official page for the Stan Sheriff Center from the UH Athletics web site
Miami Beach Convention Center
| Miss Universe Venue
Chaguaramas Convention Centre