Stan Sheriff Center
|Former names||Special Events Arena (1994-1998)|
|Location||1355 Lower Campus Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96822-2312
|Owner||University of Hawaii at Manoa|
|Operator||University of Hawaii at Manoa|
|Broke ground||December 1992|
|Opened||October 21, 1994|
|Construction cost||$32.24 million
($51.6 million in 2016 dollars)
|Architect||Kauahikaua and Chun (Honolulu)
Heery Architects (Atlanta)
|Structural engineer||ADTEK Engineers|
|General contractor||Charles Pankow Builders, Ltd.|
|Hawaii Rainbow Wahine (women's basketball, women's volleyball)
Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (men's basketball, men's volleyball)
Diamond Head Classic
The Stan Sheriff Center is a 10,300-seat multi-purpose arena in Honolulu CDP, City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii, on the campus of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Initially named the Special Events Arena when it opened in 1994, the arena was renamed in 1998 after Stan Sheriff (1932–1993), a former UH athletic director who lobbied for its construction.
On May 12, 1998, the Miss Universe pageant was held at the Center. The Diamond Head Classic midseason college basketball tournament is held in December. and the annual regional FIRST Robotics Competition. As Hawaii's largest indoor arena, the Stan Sheriff Center is the site of many major concert tours in Honolulu. Concert capacity is 11,000 for an end-stage show and 11,300 for a center-stage show. The World Championship Wrestling used the Stan Sheriff Center as its Hawaiian stop from 1994 until the organization folded in 2001. The arena hosted two NBA preseason games between the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz on October 4th and 6th, 2015. Both were designated as Lakers home games; the Jazz swept the short series, winning the second game in overtime.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "Recreation". ADTEK Engineers. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Torres, Maria (June 1, 1993). "30: Charles Pankow Builders Ltd. (Corporate Anniversaries) (Company Profile)". Hawaii Business. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Honolulu CDP, HI." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 21, 2009.
- Pageant has isles sitting pretty
- Official page for the Stan Sheriff Center from the UH Athletics web site