|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Genres||Pop punk, pop rock, power pop, alternative rock|
|Past members||Arthur Taak|
Stand Atlantic are an Australian pop rock band from Sydney, formed in 2014. The band consists of vocalist/guitarist Bonnie Fraser, guitarist David Potter, bassist Miki Rich, and drummer Jonno Panichi.
Stand Atlantic gained prominence in the Australian music scene with the release of their demo EP, A Place Apart in 2015. The band signed with Rude Records in 2017 and released a new single, 'Coffee at Midnight', that landed them positive reviews. They released an EP, Sidewinder, in September 2017.
Stand Atlantic have toured with international bands, OneOkRock, New Found Glory, State Champs, As It Is, This Wild Life, Neck Deep, and Trophy Eyes along with popular national acts in With Confidence, Short Stack and Young Lions.
- 1 History
- 2 Style and influences
- 3 Members
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
Formation, "Breakaway" (2014)
Stand Atlantic started in 2014 as a four-piece band, consisting of members Bonnie Fraser, David Potter, Jordan Jansons (drums) and Arthur Taak (guitar). They released their debut single, "Breakaway", accompanied by a fan-made lyric video. The single was recorded at Broken Sound Studios.
Line-up change, A Place Apart and tours (2014–2015)
Stand Atlantic started in the studio during November 2014, working on their debut demo EP, A Place Apart. During this time Jordan left the band and was replaced by Jonno. The first single, 'Wasteland', was released in April 2015 with the full EP later the same month. The EP was recorded by Rohan Kumar and mixed by Dave Petrovic (Tonight Alive and Hands Like Houses). The band toured with As It Is, State Champs and Young Lions during 2015.
Tours and line-up change (2016–2017)
In 2016, the band toured with With Confidence and At Sunset, before joining Cute Is What We Aim For on their 10th anniversary tour of The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch album. It was also announced that the band were to play at Bondi-Blitz. They released a cover of Ariana Grande's "Break Free" on Ghost Killer Entertainment in June. In September 2016, the band announced via a Facebook post, that Arthur had chosen to leave the band. The post also included news that they were working on new music with Stevie Knight (With Confidence, Trophy Eyes, Between You And Me) at Electric Sun Studios. The band started 2017 touring with As It Is.
Rude Records and Sidewinder (2017–2018)
On 21 June 2017, Stand Atlantic announced they had signed to Rude Records, becoming the first Australian band to do so. The band announced later that day that their first single from the new EP, Coffee at Midnight, would be premiered on Triple J's short.fast.loud that night.
Stand Atlantic announced the Sidewinder EP the following week, with a release date set for 15 September 2017. On 23 July 2017, Stand Atlantic released the second single, 'Mess I Made', through Hysteria Mag.
The EP peaked at #31 on the iTunes charts during release day. In October 2017, Stand Atlantic announced they would be supporting ROAM on their European and UK tours, starting in November. It was announced in November that Stand Atlantic would be supporting Knuckle Puck on their Australian tour in January 2018. Stand Atlantic's EP, Sidewinder, placed #10 on Rock Sound's Top 50 Albums of 2017.
Hopeless Records, "Lavender Bones" and Skinny Dipping (2018-2019)
On 4 September 2018, Stand Atlantic announced a new single, "Lavender Bones", would premiere on Triple J later that night. A debut record was teased and Triple J appeared to post the album's name, Skinny Dipping Stand Atlantic announced that they had signed to Hopeless Records on 5 September 2018 and that their debut album, Skinny Dipping, would be released in October 2018. On the 2nd of October, Stand Atlantic released "Lost My Cool", the second single from their debut album. Stand Atlantic released "Skinny Dipping", the title track and third single on 23 October. It premiered on BBC Radio 1. Skinny Dipping was released October 26 & debuted at #17 on the iTunes charts On 5 July 2019, Stand Atlantic formerly announced Miki Rich as a permanent member of the band, he had been touring with them since 2017.
Style and influences
Will Cross of Rock Sound wrote: "the trio have created an EP that's assured, accessible and properly brilliant." Caitlin Olsen of amnplify wrote: "the EP throws back to mid-2000s pop punk with a contemporary alternative twist. It's tight, it's soulful, and it's loaded with grit."
- Bonnie Fraser – vocals and guitar (2014–present)
- David Potter – bass (2014–17), guitar (2017–present)
- Jonno Panichi – drums (2015–present)
- Miki Rich – bass (2019-present, touring member 2017-19)
- Arthur Taak – guitar (2014–16)
- Jordan Jansons – drums (2014)
- Ethan Mestroni – drums (2014–15)
- Will Robinson – guitar (2016–17)
|A Place Apart||
|"Wasteland"||2015||A Place Apart|
|"Coffee at Midnight"||2017||Sidewinder|
|"Mess I Made"|
|"Lavender Bones"||2018||Skinny Dipping|
|"Lost My Cool"|
|"Coffee at Midnight"||2017|
|"Lost My Cool"|
- "Stand Atlantic - A Place Apart | Reviews | Killyourstereo.com". Killyourstereo.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Editor, The (29 June 2017). "STAND ATLANTIC // Sign to Rude Records Over 'Coffee at Midnight'". Hysteria Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Watch The New Video From One Of Australia's Most Exciting New Bands - Features - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Stand Atlantic (formerly What it's Worth) prepare to launch new single". Singular Music. 3 February 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Stand Atlantic – 'BREAKAWAY' fan lyric video". Singular Music. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Stand Atlantic drop new single | News | Killyourstereo.com". Killyourstereo.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "STAND ATLANTIC Take Us To Their "Wasteland" - Nagasaki Sound". nagasakisound.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "As It Is: The British Are Coming | Blunt Mag". Blunt Mag – Alternative Music News, Reviews, and Interviews. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Stand Atlantic supporting State Champs (USA)". Singular Music. 17 June 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "At Sunset Official Website". www.atsunsetmusic.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Cute Is What We Aim For announce 'Same Old Blood Rush' 10-year anniversary tour - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Stories & Polaris Lead Epic (And Free!) Bondi Blitz 2016 Lineup | Blunt Mag". Blunt Mag – Alternative Music News, Reviews, and Interviews. 22 February 2016. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Ghost Killer Entertainment (7 June 2016), Ariana Grande - Break Free [Band: Stand Atlantic] Punk Goes Pop Style Cover (Alternative Rock), retrieved 14 November 2017
- "As It Is + Undercast + Between You And Me + No! Not The Bees + Stand Atlantic @ The Evelyn Hotel 10/02/17". Amnplify. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Interview: Sydney's Stand Atlantic on signing to Rude Records and new EP, Sidewinder – the AU review". the AU review. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Short.Fast.Loud, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 24 August 2017, retrieved 14 November 2017
- "Listen To The New Song From Stand Atlantic - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Simmons, Jonty (23 July 2017). "STAND ATLANTIC // PREMIERE—Second Single 'Mess I Made'". Hysteria Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Stand Atlantic Have Been Announced For An Awesome Tour - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Pop rockers Stand Atlantic debut heartfelt music video for new song, "Sidewinder"—watch - Features - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "NEW MAGAZINE: Neck Deep Open Up About 'The Peace And The Panic' - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "iTunesCharts.net: Stand Atlantic (Australian iTunes Music Chart Performance)". www.itunescharts.net. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "ROAM Have Announced A Brand New Tour... And They're Bringing Stand Atlantic With Them - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "WSTR and Stand Atlantic to support Roam on UK tour". Punktastic. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "KNUCKLE PUCK | Destroy All Lines". www.destroyalllines.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Meet The Winners Of The First Ever Rock Sound Awards! - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "K!1706: Knocked Loose And The Hottest Bands Of 2018 — Kerrang!". Kerrang!. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Meet The Bands Playing The Rock Sound Breakout Stage At Slam Dunk Festival 2018 - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "stand atlantic on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "lau on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Stand Atlantic". Hopeless Records. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Stand Atlantic release absolute beast of a song 'Lost My Cool'". Don't Bore Us. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "Hopeless Records on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "iTunesCharts.net: 'Skinny Dipping' by Stand Atlantic (Australian Albums iTunes Chart)". www.itunescharts.net. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Stand Atlantic - 'Sidewinder' - Reviews - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "STAND ATLANTIC – "Sidewinder" (EP Review) - 15/09/17". Amnplify. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "Interview with BONNIE FRASER - vocalist from STAND ATLANTIC". Amnplify. Retrieved 8 November 2017.