Stand by Your Side
|"Stand by Your Side"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album One Heart|
|Released||September 29, 2003|
|Writer(s)||Paul Barry, Mark Taylor|
|Producer(s)||Mark Taylor, Humberto Gatica|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"Stand by Your Side" is a song recorded by Canadian recording artist Celine Dion, for her eight English studio album One Heart (2003). It was written by Paul Barry, Mark Taylor, and produced by Taylor and Humberto Gatica. The moving ballad sees Dion promising to someone who has been deeply wounded that she will comfort and support it. It was released on September 29, 2003 as the third (promotional only) single from the album, in the United States. "Stand by Your Side" reached number 17 on the US Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks.
Background and composition
On September 16, 2003, Dion's official website announced that the ballad was selected as the next single for adult contemporary radio in North America. "Stand by Your Side" was written by Mark Taylor and Paul Barry, who also wrote Cher' smash hit, "Believe" while production was handled by Taylor and Humberto Gatica. It is a pop ballad, where Dion promises someone who has been deeply wounded that she will comfort and support them.
Elisabeth Vincetelli of Entertainment Weekly called it an "inevitable power ballad." Chuck Arnold from People commented, "Even her trademark ballads feature less of the vocal histrionics that we've come to expect from Dion." A review from Billboard wrote that "It is a beauty, elegantly restrained and as singable and well-executed as her many previous hits," but ultimately felt that "close followers of Dion's career can't help but feel disappointed that her label doesn't make a meaningful push to be more adventurous. The double-platinum "One Heart" is ripe with the potential to surprise and delight, whether through the uptempo pop perfection of 'Faith' and 'Reveal' or – if a ballad is considered a must – why not the breathtaking 'I Know What Love Is,' a Celine classic in waiting."
"Stand by Your Side" debuted at number 29 on the Adult Contemporary chart, on September 24, 2003, with 224 plays and becoming the second most increased AC song that week. On October 16, 2003, the song became the "Greatest Gainer" after climbing to number 18. On October 24, 2003, the song climbed to number 17, its peak position. The song spent 18 weeks inside the Adult contemporary chart.
Formats and track listings
US promotional CD single
- "Stand by Your Side" – 3:33
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||52|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||17|
Credits and personnel
- Recording - Metrophonic Studios (England)
- Westlake Audio (West Hollywood, California)
- Digital Insight (Winchester, Nevada)
- Capitol Studios (Los Angeles, California)
- Songwriting – Paul Barry, Mark Taylor
- Production – Mark Taylor, Humberto Garcia
- Acoustic Guitars – Adam Phillips
- Electric Guitar - Adam Phillips, Tim Pierce
- Percussion – Luis Jardin
- Backing Vocals – Richard Page, Kenya Hathaway, Kimberley Brenner
Credits adapted from the liner notes of One Heart, Epic Records.
- "New Single From ‘One Heart’ | The Official Celine Dion Site". Celine Dion Web. September 16, 2003. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "Stand By Your Side — Celine Dion : Listen, Appearances, Song Review : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- "Celine Dion | One Heart | Album Review | Plugged In". Plugged In. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- Vincentelli, Elisabeth (March 25, 2003). "One Heart Review — Music Reviews and News — EW.com". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- Arnold, Chuck (March 25, 2003). "Picks and Pans Review: One Heart People.com". People (magazine). Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Billboard Scolds Epic Label Once Again". Celine Maniacs. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "US Adult Contemporary Chart – Celine's Maniacs – Archive 2003". Celine Maniacs. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks Billboard. Retrieved 2012-09-08
- "Arhiva romanian top 100". SC Vento Consultanta. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Celine Dion – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Celine Dion. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- One Heart (liner notes). Celine Dion. Epic Records. 2003.