Stand by Your Side
|"Stand by Your Side"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album One Heart|
|Released||29 September 2003|
|Writer(s)||Paul Barry, Mark Taylor|
|Producer(s)||Mark Taylor, Humberto Gatica|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"Stand by Your Side" is a song recorded by Canadian recording artist Celine Dion, for her eight English studio album One Heart (2003). It was written by Paul Barry, Mark Taylor, and produced by Taylor and Humberto Gatica. The moving ballad sees Dion promising to someone who has been deeply wounded that she will comfort and support it. It was released on 29 September 2003 as the third (promotional only) single from the album, in the United States. "Stand by Your Side" reached number 17 on the US Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks.
Background and composition
On 16 September 2003, Dion's official website announced that the ballad was selected as the next single for adult contemporary radio in North America. "Stand by Your Side" was written by Mark Taylor and Paul Barry, who also wrote Cher' smash hit, "Believe" while production was handled by Taylor and Humberto Gatica. It is a pop ballad, where Dion promises someone who has been deeply wounded that she will comfort and support them.
Elisabeth Vincetelli of Entertainment Weekly called it an "inevitable power ballad." Chuck Arnold from People commented, "Even her trademark ballads feature less of the vocal histrionics that we've come to expect from Dion." A review from Billboard wrote that "It is a beauty, elegantly restrained and as singable and well-executed as her many previous hits," but ultimately felt that "close followers of Dion's career can't help but feel disappointed that her label doesn't make a meaningful push to be more adventurous. The double-platinum "One Heart" is ripe with the potential to surprise and delight, whether through the uptempo pop perfection of 'Faith' and 'Reveal' or – if a ballad is considered a must – why not the breathtaking 'I Know What Love Is,' a Celine classic in waiting."
"Stand by Your Side" debuted at number 29 on the Adult Contemporary chart, on 24 September 2003, with 224 plays and becoming the second most increased AC song that week. On 16 October 2003, the song became the "Greatest Gainer" after climbing to number 18. On 24 October 2003, the song climbed to number 17, its peak position. The song spent 18 weeks inside the Adult contemporary chart.
Formats and track listings
US promotional CD single
- "Stand by Your Side" – 3:33
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||52|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||17|
Credits and personnel
- Recording - Metrophonic Studios (England)
- Westlake Audio (West Hollywood, California)
- Digital Insight (Winchester, Nevada)
- Capitol Studios (Los Angeles, California)
- Songwriting – Paul Barry, Mark Taylor
- Production – Mark Taylor, Humberto Garcia
- Acoustic Guitars – Adam Phillips
- Electric Guitar - Adam Phillips, Tim Pierce
- Percussion – Luis Jardin
- Backing Vocals – Richard Page, Kenya Hathaway, Kimberley Brenner
Credits adapted from the liner notes of One Heart, Epic Records.
- "New Single From 'One Heart' | The Official Celine Dion Site". Celine Dion Web. 16 September 2003. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Stand By Your Side — Celine Dion : Listen, Appearances, Song Review : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Celine Dion | One Heart | Album Review | Plugged In". Plugged In. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Vincentelli, Elisabeth (25 March 2003). "One Heart Review — Music Reviews and News — EW.com". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- Arnold, Chuck (25 March 2003). "Picks and Pans Review: One Heart People.com". People (magazine). Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Billboard Scolds Epic Label Once Again". Celine Maniacs. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "US Adult Contemporary Chart – Celine's Maniacs – Archive 2003". Celine Maniacs. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks Billboard. Retrieved 8 September 2012
- "Arhiva romanian top 100". SC Vento Consultanta. Archived from the original on 14 May 2005. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Celine Dion – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Celine Dion. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- One Heart (liner notes). Celine Dion. Epic Records. 2003.