Standing on the Rooftop
|Standing on the Rooftop|
|Studio album by Madeleine Peyroux|
|Released||June 14, 2011|
|Genre||Jazz, blues, folk, Americana|
|Madeleine Peyroux chronology|
Standing on the Rooftop is the sixth studio album by American jazz singer Madeleine Peyroux. It was released on June 14, 2011. Peyroux had previously released an EP to promote the album, which included the cover "Martha My Dear" and the new song "The Things I Have Seen Today".
According to the EPK of the album, Peyroux had made some live demos of the songs and sent them to producer Craig Street, to which he responded well. Having lived in New York City for long periods of time, Peyroux chose to have recording sessions there on February 2011.
This was the first album of Peyroux with Decca and her first with producer Craig Street, interrupting her longtime collaboration with Larry Klein. After Bare Bones, which consisted of only original songs, Standing on the Rooftop featured originals, along with three covers, "Martha My Dear", "I Threw It All Away" and "Love in Vain", plus Marc Ribot's "Lay Your Sleeping Head, My Love", a musical adaptation of a poem by W.H. Auden. It also paired Peyroux with new songwriting partners, like Rolling Stones' bassist Bill Wyman.
- "Martha My Dear" (John Lennon/Paul McCartney) - 2:32
- "The Kind You Can't Afford" (Madeleine Peyroux/Bill Wyman)- 3:59
- "Leaving Home Again" (Madeleine Peyroux/Bill Wyman)- 3:35
- "The Things I’ve Seen Today" (Madeleine Peyroux/Jenny Scheinman)- 3:44
- "Fickle Dove" (Madeleine Peyroux/Jenny Scheinman)- 3:28
- "Lay Your Sleeping Head, My Love" (music by Marc Ribot, lyrics by W. H. Auden) - 3:23
- "Standing on the Rooftop" (David Batteau/Madeleine Peyroux) - 5:46
- "I Threw It All Away (Bob Dylan) - 3:15
- "The Party Oughta Be Comin' Soon" (Madeleine Peyroux) - 5:00
- "Superhero" (Jonatha Brooke/Madeleine Peyroux) - 3:21
- "Love in Vain" (Robert Johnson) - 3:40
- "Don't Pick a Fight with a Poet" (Madeleine Peyroux/Andy Scott Rosen) - 4:28
- "Meet Me in Rio" (Madeleine Peyroux) - 3:51
- "Ophelia" (David Batteau/Madeleine Peyroux) - 5:12
- "The Way of All Things" (Madeleine Peyroux) - 4:02
- Madeleine Peyroux – vocals
- Christopher Bruce – guitar
- Charley Drayton – drums
- John Kirby – keyboards
- Meshell Ndegeocello - bass guitar
- Glen Patscha – keyboards
- Mauro Refosco – percussion
- Marc Ribot – guitar
- Jenny Scheinman – violin
- Allen Toussaint – piano
- Patrick Warren – keyboards
- "Decca Records - Madeleine Peyroux". Deccarecords-us.com. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "B&E: Madeleine Peyroux". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "CANOE - JAM! Music SoundScan Charts". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- Jurek, Thom. "Allmusic Review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Madeleine Peyroux: Standing on the Rooftop :: Music :: Reviews :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2011-07-26.