Stanford University School of Engineering
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stanford University School of Engineering is one of the schools of Stanford University. The current dean is Jennifer Widom, the former senior associate dean of faculty affairs and computer science chair. She is the school's 10th dean.
List of deans
- Theodore J. Hoover (1925–1936)
- Samuel B. Morris (1936–1944)
- Frederick E. Terman (1944–1958)
- Joseph M. Pettit (1958–1972)
- William M. Kays (1972–1984)
- James F. Gibbons (1984–1996)
- John L. Hennessy (1996–1999)
- James D. Plummer (1999–2014)
- Persis Drell (2014–2016)
- Thomas Kenny (interim dean) (2016–2017)
- Jennifer Widom (2017-current)
Current departments at the school
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Bioengineering (also in the School of Medicine)
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Management Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
In addition, the Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering is an interdisciplinary program.
The School of Engineering was established in 1926, when Stanford organized the previous independent academic departments into a school. The original departments in the school were:
- Civil Engineering, one of the original university departments (1891), later to become Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical Engineering, established in 1892
- Mechanical Engineering, one of the original university departments
- Mining and Metallurgy, established in 1918 and eventually disbanded in 1945
Departments added afterwards:
- Aeronautics and Astronautics, started as Aeronautical Engineering in 1958
- Chemical Engineering in 1961 (split from Chemistry)
- Computer Science in 1965 in the School of Humanities and Sciences, but moved to the School of Engineering in 1985
- Materials Science and Engineering in 1961 (originally known as Materials Science)
- Management Science and Engineering in the 1950s (originally Industrial Engineering)
- Bioengineering in 2002
- University, Stanford (2017-02-27). "Computer scientist Jennifer Widom named dean of School of Engineering". Stanford News. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Dean". School of Engineering. Stanford University. 1 February 2017. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- "Computer scientist Jennifer Widom named dean of Stanford School of Engineering". Stanford News. Stanford News. 27 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Guide to SU Schools". Stanford Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2013-01-20. Retrieved 2012-01-05.