|Initial release||January 2012|
|Stable release||3.2.9 / March 2015|
|Written in||C++, Python|
|Operating system||Unix/Linux/OS X/Windows|
|Type||Computational fluid dynamics, Simulation software|
|License||GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1|
|Website||SU2 home page|
SU2 is a suite of open-source software tools written in C++ for the numerical solution of partial differential equations (PDE) and performing PDE constrained optimization. The primary applications are computational fluid dynamics and aerodynamic shape optimization, but has been extended to treat more general equations such as electrodynamics and chemically reacting flows.
SU2 is being developed by individuals and organized teams around the world. The SU2 Lead Developers are: Dr. Francisco Palacios and Dr. Thomas D. Economon.
The most active groups developing SU2 are:
- Prof. Juan J. Alonso's group at Stanford University.
- Prof. Piero Colonna's group at Delft University of Technology.
- Prof. Nicolas R. Gauger's group at Kaiserslautern University of Technology.
- Prof. Alberto Guardone's group at Polytechnic University of Milan.
- Prof. Rafael Palacios' group at Imperial College London.
The SU2 tools suite solution suite includes
- High-fidelity analysis and adjoint-based design using unstructured mesh technology.
- Compressible and incompressible Euler, Navier-Stokes, and RANS solvers.
- Additional PDE solvers for electrodynamics, linear elasticity, heat equation, wave equation and thermochemical non-equilibrium.
- Convergence acceleration (multi-grid, preconditioning, etc.).
- Sensitivity information via the continuous adjoint methodology approach.
- Adaptive, goal-oriented mesh refinement and deformation.
- Modularized  C++ object-oriented design.
- Parallelization with MPI.
- Python scripts for automation.
Free and open-source software
- Advanced Simulation Library (AGPL)
- Code Saturne (GPL)
- Gerris Flow Solver (GPL)
- Palabos Flow Solver
- ADINA CFD
- ANSYS CFX
- ANSYS Fluent
- Azore 
- KIVA (software)
- Cradle  SC/Tetra 
- Cradle scSTREAM 
- Cradle Heat Designer 
- F. Palacios, M. R. Colonno, A. C. Aranake, A. Campos, S. R. Copeland, T. D. Economon, A. K. Lonkar, T. W. Lukaczyk, T. W. R. Taylor, and J. J. Alonso, "Stanford University Unstructured (SU2): An open-source integrated computational environment for multi-physics simulation and design", AIAA Paper 2013-0287, 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit. January 7th - 10th, 2013. Grapevine, Texas, USA.
- SU2 about page
- A. Bueno-Orovio, C. Castro, F. Palacios, and E. Zuazua "Continuous Adjoint Approach for the Spalart-Allmaras Model in Aerodynamic Optimization", AIAA Journal Vol. 50, No. 3, March 2012.
- SU2 tools list
- SU2 Licensing Page
- Advanced Simulation Library Homepage
- Clawpack homepage
- FEATool homepage
- OpenFVM homepage
- Palabos homepage
- Azore Technologies, LLC Home Page
- Software Cradle Co., Ltd. Home Page
- SC/Tetra Page
- scSTREAM Page
- Heat Designer Page
- SU2 version 2.0 announcement
- Tecplot Co-founder review of SU2
- Stanford News story about SU2 initial release