Stanley Aborah (footballer, born 1987)
Stanley Aborah (left) in 2008
|Full name||Stanley Opoku Aborah|
|Date of birth||23 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Kumasi, Ghana|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|2005–2006||→ Den Bosch (loan)||21||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:25, 4 December 2018 (UTC)|
Stanley Opoku Aborah (born 23 June 1987) is a Ghanaian-Belgian footballer who most recently played for League of Ireland Premier Division side Waterford. He is primarily an attacking midfielder. He holds both a Ghanaian passport and a Belgian passport.
Aborah was born in Kumasi, Ghana, and has had Belgian nationality since he was 10 years old. He had spells at R.S.C. Anderlecht, Cappellen, AA Gent and Germinal Beerschot before joining the Ajax youth team in 2001. His father, Stanley Aborah, Snr, a former Ghana international, operated as a defensive midfielder and played at clubs including Germinal Ekeren (now Germinal Beerschot).
As a former Jong Ajax captain, he stepped into the senior Ajax squad in 2004–05 and made his debut on 16 October 2004, against SC Heerenveen. Aborah came on as a substitute in the teams UEFA Champions League victory against Maccabi Tel-Aviv coming on for Rafael van der Vaart three days later.
FC Den Bosch (loan)
FCV Dender Eendracht
On 3 January 2007, he signed for Belgian Second Division side FCV Dender EH on a free transfer.
Return to FC Den Bosch
In the summer of 2007, Aborah signed a two-year contract with his former club Den Bosch.
Aborah joined Gillingham of England's Football League Two on a one-month contract in August 2010, which was subsequently extended to two months. He made his Gillingham debut in a 1–0 defeat away to Bradford City on 18 September 2010, but this proved to be his only appearance for the club, as he was released from his contract on 5 October.
ND Mura 05
Aborah joined ND Mura in 2012 and made 12 league appearances.
Aborah then joined Ferencvárosi TC after leaving ND Mura.
Aborah subsequently signed for Portsmouth but was released after just 4 appearances, 3 of them as a substitute, in the summer of 2017.
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/08/2010 and 31/08/2010" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "UEFA Champions League Profile". uefa.com. 14 September 2005. Retrieved 14 September 2005.
- "Ajax 3–0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv". ESPNsoccernet. 19 October 2004. Retrieved 19 October 2004.
- "Ajax restore pride, hope with 3–0 win over Maccabi Tel-Aviv". ajax-usa.com. 19 October 2004. Archived from the original on 6 March 2005. Retrieved 19 October 2004.
- "Stanley Aboran loaned out to Den Bosch". ghanaweb.com. 4 November 2005. Retrieved 4 November 2005.
- "Aborah signs for the Gills". Gillingham F.C. 5 August 2010. Archived from the original on 6 August 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "Gillingham release midfielder Stanley Aborah". BBC Sport. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Notts sign West Brom striker on loan as Aborah leaves Meadow Lane". Nottingham Post. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
- "Waterford sign former Ajax midfielder Stanley Aborah". ExtraTime.ie.
- "REPORT: Waterford FC 2 Derry City 1 - SSE Airtricity League". 17 February 2018.
- Stanley Aborah at Soccerway