This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stanley Anderson in 2007.
October 23, 1939 |
Billings, Montana, U.S.
Stanley Anderson (born October 23, 1939) is an American actor.
Life and career
Anderson was born in Billings, Montana. A Theatre Master's degree graduate of San Jose State University in the sixties, he began his professional acting career in 1967. Prior to 1990 and his work in film and television, Anderson had spent twenty-three years in over two-hundred productions as a professional actor working at Arena Stage, ACT, The Actors Company, and the California Shakespeare Festival, among others.
Well known to TV fans for his role as Drew Carey's father "George Carey" on The Drew Carey Show, Anderson began his study of acting after returning from two years of military service in Korea. After undergraduate and graduate work at San Jose State University, where he appeared in sixteen productions, he and his wife, actress Judith Long moved to Seattle, Washington, where they spent three years at the Seattle Repertory Theatre. After two years at Actors Theatre in Louisville, Kentucky, Anderson headed to Washington, DC to join the prestigious Arena Stage. His debut with Arena Stage was in the starring role of "Randall P. McMurphy" in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Anderson went on to spend seventeen years with Arena Stage, appearing in nearly a hundred of their productions. During the years he was active in Arena Stage, Anderson lived w/ his wife and their son in Springfield, Virginia. In the mid-2000s they moved to the Los Angeles area of California.
Anderson's films include Deceived, RoboCop 3 and The Pelican Brief. He played in both Michael Bay's movies The Rock and Armageddon the role of the US president. His TV guest appearances include The Practice, The X-Files, and he played "Judge Vandelay" in the Seinfeld episode "The Finale." Anderson continues to be heard as a major voiceover talent for National Geographic, Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, PBS, and the History Channel documentaries as well as being a primary voice for Democratic issues and candidates.
- The Imagemaker (1986) .... Tony LaCorte (voice)
- Son of the Morning Star (1991) .... Ulysses S. Grant
- He Said, She Said (1991) .... Bill Weller
- Deceived (1991) .... Det. Kinsella
- L.A. Law (2 episodes, 1991–1993) .... Dr. Carlson
- RoboCop 3 (1993) .... Zack
- The Pelican Brief (1993) .... Edwin Sneller
- Canadian Bacon (1995) .... Edwin S. Simon, NBS News Anchor
- City Hall (1996) .... Train Conductor
- Primal Fear (1996) .... Archbishop Richard Rushman
- The Rock (1996) .... The President (uncredited)
- Shadow Conspiracy (1997) .... Atty. Gen. Toyanbee
- The Shining (1997, mini TV Series) .... Delbert Grady
- Seinfeld .... Judge Vandelay
- Armageddon (1998) .... The President
- Chicago Hope (1 episode, 1999) .... Dr. Windsor
- Arlington Road (1999) .... Dr. Archer Scobee
- Just Shoot Me! (1 episode, 1999) .... Minister
- Judging Amy (1 episode, 1999) .... Thomas Carr
- Waking the Dead (2000) .... Fielding's Father
- The X Files (1 episode, 2000) .... Agent Schoniger
- The Kid (2000) .... Bob Riley
- Proof of Life (2000) .... Jerry
- Ally McBeal (1 episode, 2001) .... Judge Walter McDonald
- Crossing Jordan (1 episode, 2001) .... Pat Donnelly
- Roswell (1 episode, 2001) .... Jim Valenti, Sr.
- 40 Days and 40 Nights (2002) .... Pater Maher
- Spider-Man (2002) .... General Slocum
- S1m0ne (2002) .... Frank Brand
- Red Dragon (2002) .... Jimmy Price
- Law & Order (2 episodes, 1991-2003) .... Jerry Manley / Nelson Lambert
- Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003) .... Michael Blaine
- Runaway Jury (2003) .... Henry Jankle
- American Dreams (2 episodes, 2002–2003) .... Father Ryan
- The Practice (3 episodes, 1997–2004) .... Dr. Gale / Psychiatrist
- The Drew Carey Show (10 episodes, 1995–2004) .... George Carey
- The Last Shot (2004) .... Howard Schatz / Ben Cartwright
- NYPD Blue (2 episodes, 1994–2005) .... Robert Heilbrenner / Professor John Goldman
- When the Earth Quakes (1990) (TV) .... Narrator
- Richard I: The Lion Heart (1994)
- Ancient Mysteries (1996) TV Series .... Narrator (Origin of the Vampire) (unknown episodes)
- ... aka Ancient Mysteries: New Investigations of the Unsolved (USA: video title)
- "Billings Film School". Film Connection Film Institute. Retrieved August 6, 2011.