||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stanley Anderson in 2007.
October 23, 1939 |
Billings, Montana, U.S.
Stanley Anderson (born October 23, 1939) is an American actor.
Life and career
Anderson was born in Billings, Montana. A Theatre Master's degree graduate of San Jose State University in the sixties, he began his professional acting career in 1967. Prior to 1990 and his work in film and television, Anderson had spent twenty-three years in over two-hundred productions as a professional actor working at Arena Stage, ACT, The Actors Company, and the California Shakespeare Festival, among others.
Well known to TV fans for his role as Drew Carey's father "George Carey" on The Drew Carey Show, Anderson began his study of acting after returning from two years of military service in Korea. After undergraduate and graduate work at San Jose State University, where he appeared in sixteen productions, he and his wife, actress Judith Long moved to Seattle, Washington, where they spent three years at the Seattle Repertory Theatre. After two years at Actors Theatre in Louisville, Kentucky, Anderson headed to Washington, DC to join the prestigious Arena Stage. His debut with Arena Stage was in the starring role of "Randall P. McMurphy" in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Anderson went on to spend seventeen years with Arena Stage, appearing in nearly a hundred of their productions. During the years he was active in Arena Stage, Anderson lived w/ his wife and their son in Springfield, Virginia. In the mid-2000s they moved to the Los Angeles area of California.
Anderson's films include Deceived, RoboCop 3 and The Pelican Brief. He played in both Michael Bay's movies The Rock and Armageddon the role of the US president. His TV guest appearances include The Practice, The X-Files, and he played "Judge Vandelay" in the Seinfeld episode "The Finale." Anderson continues to be heard as a major voiceover talent for National Geographic, Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, PBS, and the History Channel documentaries as well as being a primary voice for Democratic issues and candidates.
- NYPD Blue .... Professor John Goldman / ... (2 episodes, 1994–2005)
- The Last Shot (2004) .... Howard Schatz/Ben Cartwright
- The Drew Carey Show .... George Carey (10 episodes, 1995–2004)
- The Practice .... Dr. Gale / ... (3 episodes, 1997–2004)
- American Dreams (2 episodes, 2002–2003)
- Runaway Jury (2003) .... Henry Jankle
- Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003) .... Michael Blaine
- Law & Order .... Jerry Manley/Nelson Lambert ... (2 episodes, 1991/2003)
- Red Dragon (2002) .... Jimmy Price
- S1m0ne (2002) .... Frank Brand
- Spider-Man (2002) .... General Slocum
- 40 Days and 40 Nights (2002) .... Pater Maher
- Roswell .... Jim Valenti, Sr. (1 episode, 2001)
- Crossing Jordan .... Pat Donnelly (1 episode, 2001)
- Ally McBeal .... Judge Walter McDonald (1 episode, 2001)
- Proof of Life (2000) .... Jerry
- The Kid (2000) .... Bob Riley
- The X Files .... Agent Schoniger (1 episode, 2000)
- Waking the Dead (2000) .... Fielding's Father
- Judging Amy .... Thomas Carr (1 episode, 1999)
- Just Shoot Me! .... Minister (1 episode, 1999)
- Arlington Road (1999) .... Dr. Archer Scobee
- Chicago Hope .... Dr. Windsor (1 episode, 1999)
- Armageddon (1998) .... The President
- Seinfeld .... Judge Vandelay
- The Finale: Part 1 (1998) TV Episode .... Judge Vandelay
- The Shining (1997) (mini) TV Series .... Delbert Grady
- Shadow Conspiracy (1997) .... Atty. Gen. Toyanbee
- The Rock (1996) (uncredited) .... The President
- Primal Fear (1996) .... Archbishop Richard Rushman
- City Hall (1996) .... Train Conductor
- Canadian Bacon (1995) .... Edwin S. Simon, NBS News Anchor
- The Pelican Brief (1993) .... Edwin Sneller
- RoboCop 3 (1993) .... Zack
- L.A. Law (2 episodes, 1991–1993)
- Deceived (1991) .... Det. Kinsella
- He Said, She Said (1991) .... Bill Weller
- Son of the Morning Star (1991) .... Ulysses S. Grant
- Ancient Mysteries (1996) TV Series .... Narrator (Origin of the Vampire) (unknown episodes)
- ... aka Ancient Mysteries: New Investigations of the Unsolved (USA: video title)
- Richard I: The Lion Heart (1994)
- When the Earth Quakes (1990) (TV) .... Narrator
- "Billings Film School". Film Connection Film Institute. Retrieved August 6, 2011.