Stanley G. Payne
Stanley George Payne (born September 9, 1934 in Denton, Texas) is an American historian of modern Spain and European Fascism at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He retired from full-time teaching in 2004 and is currently Professor Emeritus at its Department of History.
Known for his typological description of fascism, Payne is a specialist in the Spanish fascist movement and has also produced comparative analyses of Western European fascism. He asserts that there were some specific ways in which National Socialism paralleled Russian communism to a much greater degree than Fascism was capable of doing. Payne does not propound the theory of "red fascism" or the notion that communism and National Socialism are essentially the same. He states that National Socialism more nearly paralleled Russian communism than any other noncommunist system has.
In the 1960s, his books were published in Spanish by Éditions Ruedo ibérico (ERi), a publishing company set up by Spanish Republican exiles in Paris, France, to publish works forbidden in Spain by the Francoist regime ruling the country at the time. He has been referred to by some historians as a revisionist due to his views. One of his more famous books is Spanish Civil War, The Soviet Union and Communism, which analyzes Joseph Stalin and the Soviet government's intervention in Spain. He also wrote The Franco Regime, The Spanish Civil War and A History of Fascism 1914-1945.
Payne uses a lengthy itemized list of characteristics to identify fascism, including the creation of an authoritarian state; a regulated, state-integrated economic sector; fascist symbolism; anti-liberalism; anti-communism, and anti-conservatism. He sees elimination of the autonomy or, in some cases, complete existence of large-scale capitalism as the common aim of all fascist movements.
Payne received his bachelor's degree from Pacific Union College in 1955. He went on to earn a masters from Claremont Graduate School and University Center in 1957 and a doctorate (Ph.D.) from Columbia University in 1960.
- Curriculum vitae and photo at Department of History, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- The Routledge Companion to Fascism and the Far Right. Routledge. 2002. p.67
- Stanley G. Payne. Fascism: Comparison and Definition. University of Wisconsin Press. 1983. ISBN 978-0-299-08064-8. p.102-104
- Ángel Viñas (ed.), Sin respeto por la historia [extraordinary issue of Hispania Nova] 2015
- Payne, Stanley (1980). Fascism: Comparison and Definition. University of Wisconsin Press, p.7
- Payne, Stanley (1996). A History of Fascism. Routledge. ISBN 1-85728-595-6 p.10
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Stanley G. Payne|
- "Payne's CV" (PDF). (109 KB)
- Bunk, Brian D.; Pack, Sasha D.; Scott, Carl-Gustaf (2008). Nation and conflict in modern Spain: essays in honor of Stanley G. Payne. Madison, Wisconsin: Parallel Press. ISBN 978-1-893311-76-3. Retrieved 9 August 2016.