Stanley Krippner (born October 4, 1932) is an American psychologist, parapsychologist, and an executive faculty member and Professor of Psychology at Saybrook University in Oakland, California. Formerly, Krippner was director of the Kent State University Child Study Center (of Kent, Ohio), and director of the Maimonides Medical Center Dream Research Laboratory (of Brooklyn, New York).
Krippner has written extensively on altered states of consciousness, dream telepathy, hypnosis, shamanism, dissociation, and parapsychological subjects. Krippner was an early leader in Division 32 of the American Psychological Association, the division concerned with humanistic psychology, serving as President of the division from 1980 - 1981. He also served as president of division 30, the Society for Psychological Hypnosis, and is a Fellow of four APA divisions. Krippner has conducted experiments with Montague Ullman into dream telepathy at the Maimonides Medical Center.
In 1985, psychologist C. E. M. Hansel criticized the picture target experiments that were conducted by Krippner and Ullman. According to Hansel there were weaknesses in the design of the experiments in the way in which the agent became aware of their target picture. Only the agent should have known the target and no other person until the judging of targets had been completed, however, an experimenter was with the agent when the target envelope was opened. Hansel also wrote there had been poor controls in the experiment as the main experimenter could communicate with the subject. In 2002, Krippner denied Hansel's accusations claiming the agent did not communicate with the experimenter.
An attempt to replicate the experiments that used picture targets was carried out by Edward Belvedere and David Foulkes. The finding was that neither the subject nor the judges matched the targets with dreams above chance level. Results from other experiments by Belvedere and Foulkes were also negative.
In 2003, Simon Sherwood and Chris Roe wrote a review that claimed support for dream telepathy at Maimonides. However, James Alcock noted that their review was based on "extreme messiness" of data. Alcock concluded the dream telepathy experiments at Maimonides have failed to provide evidence for telepathy and "lack of replication is rampant."
Krippner has drawn criticism for endorsing the feats of a Russian psychic Nina Kulagina. Science writer Martin Gardner found it surprising that Krippner took interest in Kulagina despite knowing that she was "a pretty, plump, dark-eyed little charlatan" who was caught on two occasions using tricks to move objects. Krippner took issue with this statement believing it to be an attack on himself and wrote there was "no suggestion of trickery." However, psychologists Jerome Kravitz and Walter Hillabrant have noted that she was "caught cheating more than once by Soviet Establishment scientists." Gardner later commenting on Kulagina stated that she utilized invisible threads to move objects.
Krippner has contributed to and co-edited Future Science: Life Energies and the Physics of Paranormal Phenomena (1977). It included an essay from the parapsychologist Julius Weinberger, who claimed to have communicated with the dead by using a Venus flytrap as the medium. Philosopher Paul Kurtz criticized the book for endorsing pseudoscience.
Magician and noted skeptic Henry Gordon has written:
A reading of Krippner's book, Human Possibilities, published by Doubleday, convinced me that there is a man sincere in his beliefs in the paranormal and bending over backward to be fair and open minded but incredibly naive. In his book he endorses the feats of several psychics who have already been exposed as frauds.
- 1980 - Human Possibilities: Mind Research in the USSR and Eastern Europe (Anchor/Doubleday Books) ISBN 0-385-12805-3
- 1976 - Song of the Siren: A Parapsychological Odyssey (Harper & Row) ISBN 0-06-064786-8
- 1971 - Shamlet: The Tragicall Historie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Exposition Press)
- 2012 - Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (Biographies of Disease) (with Daniel Pitchford and Jeannine Davies). (ABC-CLIO/Greenwood)
- 2012 - The Voice of Rolling Thunder: A Medicine Man's Wisdom for Walking the Red Road (with Sidian Morning Star Jones). (Bear & Company) ISBN 1-59143-133-6
- 2011 - Demystifying Shamans and their World: A Multidisciplinary Study (with Adam Rock). (Imprint-Academic)
- 2010 - Haunted by Combat: Understanding PTSD in War Veterans, Rev. ed. (New Epilogue, with Daryl S. Paulson). (Rowman & Littlefield)
- 2007 - Haunted by Combat: Understanding PTSD in War Veterans, Including Women, Reservists, and Those Coming Back from Iraq (with Daryl S. Paulson). (Praeger Security International)
- 2006 - The Mythic Path, 3rd ed. (with David Feinstein). (Energy Psychology Press)
- 2004 - Becoming Psychic: Spiritual Lessons for Focusing Your Hidden Abilities (with Stephen Kierulff). (New Page Books) ISBN 1-56414-755-X
- 2002 - Extraordinary Dreams and How to Work with Them (with Fariba Bogzaran & Andre Percia de Carvalho). (SUNY Press)
- 1997 - The Mythic Path (with David Feinstein). (Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam) ISBN 0-87477-857-3
- 1993 - A Psychiatrist in Paradise: Treating Mental Illness in Bali (with Denny Thong and Bruce Carpenter). (White Lotus Press) ISBN 974-8495-77-9
- 1992 - Spiritual Dimensions of Healing: From Tribal Shamanism to Contemporary Health Care (with Patrick Welch). (Irvington Publishers) ISBN 0-8290-2462-X
- 1989 - Dream Telepathy: Experiments in Nocturnal ESP, 2nd ed. (with Montague Ullman and Alan Vaughan)(McFarland Publishers) ISBN 1-57174-321-9
- 1988 - Personal Mythology: The Psychology of Your Evolving Self (with David Feinstein). (Jeremy P. Tarcher) ISBN 0-87477-483-7
- 1988 - Dreamworking: How to Use Your Dreams for Creative Problem-Solving (with Joseph Dillard). (Bearly Ltd.) ISBN 0-943456-25-8
- 1987 - Zwischen Himmel und Erde: Spirituelles Heilen der Schamanen, Hexen, Priester und Medien (with Patrick Scott). (Chiron Verlag)
- 1987 - Healing States (with Alberto Villoldo). (Fireside Books/Simon & Schuster) ISBN 0-671-63202-7
- 1986 - La Science et les Pouvoirs Psychiques de l'Homme (with Jerry Solfvin). (Sand)
- 1986 - The Realms of Healing, 3rd ed. (with Alberto Villoldo). (Celestial Arts Press) (rev. ed. 1977) ISBN 0-89087-474-3
- 1974 - Dream Telepathy: Experiments in Nocturnal ESP (with Montague Ullman and Alan Vaughan). (Macmillan)
- 1990 - Dreamtime and Dreamwork: Decoding the Language of the Night (Jeremy P. Tarcher)
- 1987-1997 - Advances in Parapsychological Research Vols. 4-8; 4(1984), 5(1987), 6(1990), 7(1994), 8(1997) (McFarland Publishing)
- 1977-1982 - Advances in Parapsychological Research Vols. 1-3; 1(1977), 2(1978), 3(1982) (Plenum Press)
- 1979 - Psychoenergetic Systems: The Interface of Consciousness, Energy and Matter (Gordon & Breach)
- 2013 - Varieties of Anomalous Experience, 2nd ed.(with Etzel Cardena and Steven Jay Lynn). (American Psychological Association)
- 2013 - Advances in Parapsychological Research, Vol. 9 (with Rock, Beischel, Friedman, and Fracasso). (McFarland)
- 2010 - Debating Psychic Experience: Human Potential or Human Illusion? (with Harris L. Friedman). (Praeger)
- 2010 - Mysterious Minds: The Neurobiology of Psychics, Mediums, and Other Extraordinary People (with Harris L. Friedman). (Praeger)
- 2009 - Perchance to Dream: The Frontiers of Dream Psychology (with Debbie Joffe Ellis). (Nova Science)
- 2007 - Healing Stories: The Use of Narrative in Counseling and Psychotherapy (with Michael Bova, & Leslie Gray). (Puente)
- 2007 - Healing Tales: The Narrative Arts in Spiritual Traditions (with Michael Bova, Leslie Gray, & Adam Kay). (Puente)
- 2003 - The Psychological Impact of War Trauma on Civilians: An International Perspective (with Teresa M McIntyre). (Praeger)
- 2000 - Varieties of Anomalous Experience: Examining the Scientific Evidence (with Etzel Cardena & Steven J. Lynn). (American Psychological Association)
- 1999 - Dreamscaping (with Mark Waldman). (Lowell House)
- 1997 - Broken Images, Broken Selves: Dissociative Narratives in Clinical Practice (with Susan Powers). (Brunner/Mazel)
- 1977 - Future Science: Life Energies and the Physics of Paranormal Phenomena (with John White). (Anchor Books)
- 1975 - The Energies of Consciousness: Explorations in Acupuncture, Auras, and Kirlian Photography (with Daniel Rubin). (Gordon & Breach)
- 1974 - The Kirlian Aura: Photographing the Galaxies of Life (with Daniel Rubin). (Anchor Books)
- 1973 - Galaxies of Life: The Human Aura in Acupuncture and Kirlian Photography (with Daniel Rubin). (Gordon & Breach)
- "Stanley Krippner, Papers, 1953-1980". Kent State University. 7 February 2003. Retrieved 15 October 2009.
- Melton, J. G. (1996). Stanley Krippner. In Encyclopedia of Occultism & Parapsychology. Gale Research. ISBN 978-0-8103-9487-2.
- No Authorship Indicated (November 2002). "Stanley C. Krippner: Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology". The American Psychologist (American Psychological Association) 57 (11): 960–62. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.57.11.960. PMID 12564208. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Saybrook: Faculty". Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center. Retrieved 15 October 2009.
- Aanstoos, C.; Serlin, I.; Greening, Thomas (2000). "History of Division 32 (Humanistic Psychology) of the American Psychological Association". In Dewsbury, Donald A. Unification through Division: Histories of the divisions of the American Psychological Association, Vol. V (PDF). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Parker, Adrian. (1975). States of Mind: ESP and Altered States of Consciousness. Taplinger. p. 90. ISBN 0-8008-7374-2
- Clemmer, E. J. (1986). Not so anomalous observations question ESP in dreams. American Psychologist 41: 1173-1174.
- Hyman, Ray. (1986). Maimonides dream-telepathy experiments. Skeptical Inquirer 11: 91-92.
- Neher, Andrew. (2011). Paranormal and Transcendental Experience: A Psychological Examination. Dover Publications. p. 145. ISBN 0-486-26167-0
- Hansel, C. E. M. (1985). The Search for a Demonstration of ESP. In Paul Kurtz. A Skeptic's Handbook of Parapsychology. Prometheus Books. pp. 97-127. ISBN 0-87975-300-5
- Ramakrishna Rao, K, Gowri Rammohan, V. (2002). New Frontiers of Human Science: A Festschrift for K. Ramakrishna Rao. McFarland. p. 135. ISBN 0-7864-1453-7
- Belvedere, E., Foulkes, D. (1971). Telepathy and Dreams: A Failure to Replicate. Perceptual and Motor Skills 33: 783–789.
- Hansel, C. E. M. (1989). The Search for Psychic Power: ESP and Parapsychology Revisited. Prometheus Books. pp. 141-152. ISBN 0-87975-516-4
- Sherwood, S. J; Roe, C. A. (2003). A Review of Dream ESP Studies Conducted Since the Maimonides Dream ESP Programme. Journal of Consciousness Studies, 10: 85-109.
- Alcock, James. (2003). Give the Null Hypothesis a Chance: Reasons to Remain Doubtful about the Existence of Psi. Journal of Consciousness Studies 10: 29-50. "In their article, Sherwood and Roe examine attempts to replicate the well-known Maimonides dream studies that began in the 1960s. They provide a good review of these studies of dream telepathy and clairvoyance, but if one thing emerges for me from their review, it is the extreme messiness of the data adduced. Lack of replication is rampant. While one would normally expect that continuing scientific scrutiny of a phenomenon should lead to stronger effect sizes as one learns more about the subject matter and refines the methodology, this is apparently not the case with this research."
- Gardner, Martin. (1983). Science: Good, Bad and Bogus. Oxford University Press. p. 244. ISBN 0-19-286037-2
- Krippner, Stanley. (1980). Human Possibilities: Mind Exploration in the U. S. S. R. and Eastern Europe. Anchor Press/Doubleday. p. 33
- Kravitz, Jerome; Hillabrant, Walter. (1977). The Future is Now: Readings in Introductory Psychology. F. E. Peacock Publishers. p. 301
- Gardner, Martin. (1986). Magicians in the Psi Lab: Many Misconceptions. In Kendrick Frazier. Science Confronts the Paranormal. Prometheus Books. pp. 170-175. ISBN 978-1-61592-619-0
- Kurtz, Paul. (1978). Review of Future Science: Life Energies and the Physics of Paranormal Phenomena. Skeptical Inquirer 2: 90-94.
- Henry Gordon. (1988). Extrasensory Deception : ESP, Psychics, Shirley MacLaine, Ghosts, UFOs. Macmillan of Canada. p. 27
- Rich, Grant Jewell. (2001). Varieties of Anomalous Experience: Examining the Scientific Evidence by Etzel Cardña; Steven Jay Lynn; Stanley Krippner. American Anthropologist New Series. Vol. 103, No. 1. pp. 266-267.
- MacHovec, Frank. (2002). Varieties of Anomalous Experience: Examining the Scientific Evidence (Review). Cultic Studies Review. Vol. 1, No. 2.
- Official website
- Ardagh, Arjuna. The Translucent Revolution: Stanley Krippner.
- Parapsychological Association. Who is Stanley Krippner?
- Krassner, Paul (2005). Life Among the Neopagans in The Nation, August 24, 2005 (web only).