|Full name||Stanley McCormick|
|Born||5 July 1923
Oldham, Lancashire, England
|Belle Vue Rangers|
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
Stan 'Mac' McCormick (5 July 1923 – July 1999) born in Oldham, was an English professional rugby league footballer of the 1940s, and 1950s, and coach of the 1960s and 1970s, playing at representative level for Great Britain, England and Lancashire, and at club level for Belle Vue Rangers, St. Helens, and Warrington, with whom he won the 1953–54 Challenge Cup, as a Wing, i.e. number 2 or 5. After playing he went on to become the coach for St. Helens, and later for Salford. McCormick is a St Helens RLFC Hall of Fame inductee.
McCormick won caps for England while at Belle Vue Rangers in 1948 against Wales, and France, while at St. Helens in 1949 against Wales, and France, in 1951 against Wales, in 1953 against France (2 matches), and Wales, and won caps for Great Britain while at Belle Vue Rangers in 1948 against Australia (2 matches); and while at St. Helens in 1949 against Australia.
Challenge Cup final appearances
McCormick played Wing in St. Helens' 10–15 defeat by Huddersfield in the 1953 Challenge Cup final during the 1952–53 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 25 April 1953, played Wing in Warrington's 4–4 draw with Halifax in the 1954 Challenge Cup final during the 1953–54 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 1 May 1954, and played Left-Wing in the 8-4 victory over Halifax in the 1954 Challenge Cup final replay during the 1953–54 at Odsal Stadium, Bradford on Wednesday 5 May 1954, in front of a record crowd of 102,575 or more.
County Cup final appearances
McCormick played Centre, i.e. number 4, in Belle Vue Rangers' 7-10 defeat by Wigan in the 1947 Lancashire Cup final during the 1947–48 season at Station Road, Swinton on Saturday 1 November 1947, played Left-Wing, i.e. number 5, in St. Helens' 5-22 defeat by Leigh in the 1952 Lancashire Cup final during the 1952–53 season at Station Road, Swinton on Saturday 29 November 1952, and played Left-Wing in the 16-8 victory over Wigan in the 1953 Lancashire Cup final during the 1953–54 season at Station Road, Swinton on Saturday 24 October 1953.
In January 1949, McCormick joined St Helens from Belle Vue Rangers for a record fee of £4,000 (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £329,600 in 2014), he later went on to play for Warrington.
- Dooley, Dave. "Stan McCormick". Saints Heritage Society. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Sporting Digest: Rugby League". The Independent. 30 July 1999. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "St Helens Hall of Fame". saints.org.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Edgar, Harry (2007). Rugby League Journal Annual 2008 Page-110. Rugby League Journal Publishing. ISBN 0-9548355-3-0
- McCorquodale, London S.E (25 April 1953). The Rugby League Challenge Cup Competition - Final Tie - Huddersfield v St. Helens - Match Programme. Wembley Stadium Ltd. ISBN n/a
- "1947–1948 Lancashire Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Measuring Worth - Relative Value of UK Pounds". Measuring Worth. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "McCormick, Stan". wolvesplayers.thisiswarrington.co.uk. Retrieved 4 March 2014.