|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sandford in A Shriek in the Night (1933)
|Born||Stanley J. Sandford
February 26, 1894
Osage, Iowa, USA
|Died||October 29, 1961
Los Angeles, California, USA
|Spouse(s)||Edna Sandford (?-?) 2 children|
Stanley J. "Tiny" Sandford (February 26, 1894 – October 29, 1961) was a tall, burly actor who is best remembered for his roles in Laurel and Hardy and Charlie Chaplin films. He was usually cast as a comic heavy, and often played policemen, doormen, prizefighters, or bullies.
Sandford was born in Osage, Iowa. After working in stock theater he began acting in movies around 1910. He appeared in The Gold Rush with Charlie Chaplin. Other Chaplin films that he appeared in include The Circus (1928) and Modern Times (1936), where he plays "Big Bill". His films with Laurel and Hardy include Big Business (1929), Double Whoopee (1929), The Chimp (1932), and Our Relations (1936). He appeared in The Warrior's Husband as a clumsy and cowardly Hercules. Sandford also acted in Way Out West, but his sequence was cut from the final take.
- 1917 The Immigrant, The cheater on the boat
- 1925 The Gold Rush, Barman (uncredited)
- 1927 Ginsberg the Great, Hercules
- 1927 Love My Dog, P. Fulton, attorney at law
- 1927 Sailors, Beware!
- 1927 The Second Hundred Years
- 1928 The Circus, The Head Property Man
- 1928 From Soup to Nuts, Mr. Culpepper
- 1928 Flying Elephants, Hulking Caveman
- 1928 From Soup to Nuts
- 1929 The Iron Mask, Porthos
- 1929 Big Business
- 1929 Double Whoopee
- 1929 The Hoose-Gow
- 1930 Blotto
- 1930 Below Zero
- 1930 The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case
- 1931 Beau Hunks
- 1931 Pardon Us, Prison Guard
- 1931 Come Clean
- 1932 The Chimp
- 1932 This Is the Night
- 1933 Busy Bodies, Shop Foreman
- 1933 A Shriek in the Night, Eddie a detective
- 1933 Queen Christina, Cook at the Inn (uncredited)
- 1936 Modern Times, Big Bill
- 1940 The Great Dictator, a comrade soldier in 1918 (uncredited)
- Maltin 1973, p. 143.
- Maltin, Leonard (1973). The Laurel & Hardy Book. New York: Curtis.
|This article about a film actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|