The High Street at Stanstead Abbotts
|Population||1,950 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Stanstead Abbotts (alternatively Stanstead Abbots) is a village and civil parish in the district of East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, England. At the 2001 census the parish had a population of 1,983. It lies on the county boundary with Essex, and is situated approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) SSE of Ware, 4 miles (6.4 km) SE of Hertford, 2 miles (3.2 km) NNE of Hoddesdon and 5 miles (8.0 km) W of Harlow. The village is separated from the village of Stanstead St Margarets by the River Lea.
Name and origins
The village's name was recorded as "Stanstede" at the time of the Domesday Survey in the late eleventh century. In the twelfth century the manor passed to the abbot of Waltham Holy Cross. By the fourteenth century the suffix "Abbatis", "Abbotts" or "Abbot" formed part of the parish's name. The abbey continued possession of the manor until its dissolution in 1531.
The manor of Stanstead Abbotts was granted to Anne Boleyn and remained with the crown after her execution. In 1559 Queen Elizabeth granted it to Edward Baeshe and it remained in the Bashe family for several generations.
Once situated on the main A414, Stanstead Abbotts has many old buildings in its High Street, although many have now made way for newer residential properties because the village is on the Hertford East Branch Line with trains from St Margarets station to Liverpool Street Station. The main industry in the village used to be making ale but many of the original maltings have now been demolished to make way for a small business park.
The local school is St Andrews Primary CE (VC) Primary School.
Sport and leisure
- St James' Church, Stanstead Abbotts
- Stanstead Lock, River Lea
- The Hundred Parishes
- Stanstead St Margarets
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Parish Headcount: Stanstead Abbots CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. 28 April 2004. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Parishes: Stanstead Abbots". A History of the County of Hertford: volume 3. British History Online. 1912. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- Hertfordshire County Council. "Stanstead Abbots" (PDF). Hertfordshire Extensive Urban Survey. Archaeology Data Service. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "St Andrews CE (VC) Primary School". Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- "1st Stanstead Abbotts & St. Margaret's Scout Group". Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- "Lee Valley Regional Park Authority - Stanstead Marina". Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- "standsteadabbots". www.townsinbritain.co.uk. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "The New River and the Lee". walks.walkingworld.com. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
Media related to Stanstead Abbotts at Wikimedia Commons