This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Stanton Street is a west-to-east street in the New York City borough of Manhattan, in the neighborhood of the Lower East Side. It begins at the Bowery at the corner of the infamous Sunshine Motel. This three-lane street, with a bike lane, a parking lane, and a through lane, is one block north of Rivington Street and one block south of Houston Street. Automotive traffic runs eastward to Pitt Street, after which it dead-ends into a pedestrian pathway.
The street also includes a settlement house based on the ideas that Jane Addams brought from the settlement movement in England that won her a Nobel Prize in 1931. The Stanton Street Settlement, founded in 1999, is active in the community through volunteer work.
The site of the second African burial ground in New York lies between Stanton and Rivington Streets, now a playground in the Sara Delano Roosevelt Park. The M'Finda Kalunga community garden is also at this location.
The Lower East Side, once known for its large Jewish community of German and Eastern European Jews before an influx of newer immigrants, is beginning to see a slight resurgence in the Jewish character of the neighborhood, led by the Stanton Street Synagogue, Congregation Bnai Jacob Anshei Brzezan.
The Sara D. Roosevelt Park had a service facility at Stanton Street which included a public restroom until 1994, when it was closed.
In popular culture
- "Talks Begin to Restore Sara D. Roosevelt Park's Stanton Street Storehouse". DNAinfo New York. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- Getlen, Larry (21 July 2013). "Inside story of Lady Gaga's early years of pitfalls, breakthroughs and audacity in NYC". Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Rent Lady Gaga's Former Stanton Street Apartment for $2,000 a Month". 11 September 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- Plitt, Amy (11 September 2015). "Live In Lady Gaga's Lower East Side Building for $2,000/Month". Curbed NY. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- New York Songlines: Stanton Street, a virtual walking tour
- Stanton Street storefronts - photographs of all storefronts on Stanton St.