Stanville Seated Lincoln Statue
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (September 2010)|
The Stanville Seated Lincoln Statue is a sculpture commissioned by Eric C. Conn and is located in Stanville, Kentucky. The statue looks over Highway U.S. 23. The statue is 19 feet in height including the base of the statue, the Lincoln statue itself is six feet high. The statue has been called the 'Second Largest Seated Lincoln Statue in the World;' however, the seated Lincoln statue in Boise, ID is taller at 9 feet without a base.
The statue was commissioned by Attorney Eric C. Conn with construction beginning in October 2009. Conn at first commissioned smaller studies of what would become the statue. The statue was dedicated on November 4, 2010. November 4, 2010 being the anniversary of the first and only Kentuckian Abraham Lincoln elected to the White House. The stated purpose of the statue is to remind Kentuckians that Abraham Lincoln was born and spent many years of his young developmental life in Kentucky. Attorney Conn financed the entire cost of the statue without any outside financial support. The cost of the statue was reported to be $500,000.00.
The statue and base stands almost 19 feet in height. Eric C. Conn maintains that the statue, if the concrete base is included is the second largest seated Lincoln statue in the world. The largest being the Abraham Lincoln Memorial on the National Mall in Washington D.C. The statue is white with a white base.
The statue had to be put in place by a crane. It had to be delivered in three pieces due to the large size. The statue weighs over a ton, not counting its cement base that is 16 feet square and six feet high.
- http://www.roadsideamerica.com/blog/lincoln-mr-social-security/. Missing or empty
- http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/06/27/11521399/. Missing or empty
- "Second Largest Seated Lincoln Statue in World Arrives in Kentucky" Reuters News Network, September 20, 2010
- "Local Attorney Commissions Lincoln Statue" Floyd County Times, September 22, 2010
- "Abe Lincoln statue to be unveiled in rural Kentucky town" Examiner.Com Los Angeles, September 20, 2010
- U.S. Census Bureau 2000 Demographic Profiles
- "Second Largest Seated Lincoln Statue in World Arrives in Kentucky" Forbes September 20, 2010
- "Lincoln Memorial" National Park Service website retrieved September 27, 2010.