Stanway House is a Jacobean manor house, located near the village of Stanway in Gloucestershire, England. The manor was owned by Tewkesbury Abbey for 800 years then for 500 years by the Tracy family and their descendants, the Earls of Wemyss and March. The then Lord Neidpath, now the 13th Earl of Wemyss and March, pursued, over a number of years, a restoration program.
The principal rooms are in a long south-facing range forming an L-shape with the hall, unlike the usual Tudor house plan of a central hall. The north-east wing, remodelled in 1913 by Detmar Blow, was demolished in 1948. The kitchen court was designed by William Burn in 1859. The Gatehouse was built in about 1630.
Stanway House is also home to the Stanway Fountain, which was opened on 5 June 2004. The single-jet fountain, which rises to over 300 feet (91 m), is the tallest fountain in Britain (seconded by Witley Court at 121 feet (37 m)), the tallest gravity fountain in the world (seconded by the Fountain of Fame at La Granja de San Ildefonso, Segovia, Spain at 153 feet (47 m)), and the second tallest fountain in Europe, after the 400 feet (120 m) high turbine-driven fountain in Lake Geneva. The fountain has a 2 inches (5.1 cm) bronze nozzle and is driven from an 100,000-gallon reservoir, 580 feet (180 m) above the canal in which it is situated. The 12 inches (30 cm) diameter pipe which feeds the fountain is 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) long. The fountain is operated by remote control.
- ""The Fountain" at". Stanwayfountain.co.uk. 2004-06-05. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Stanway Brewery". Stanway Brewery. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Cotswold District Local Plan, Appendix 2, Key Wildlife Sites". Localplan.cotswold.gov.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- "Vanity Fair". The Castles and Manor Houses of Cinema's Greatest Period Films. Architectural Digest. January 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, David Verey, Pevsner Architectural Guides: The Buildings of England, Penguin, 1970, ISBN 0-14-071040-X. Pp. 415–417.
Media related to Stanway House at Wikimedia Commons