Staré Město (Frýdek-Místek District)
Church of Saint Joseph
|• Mayor||Josef Mikulec|
|• Total||4.68 km2 (1.81 sq mi)|
|Elevation||301 m (988 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Postal code||738 01|
Staré Město (German: Altstadt, Polish: Stare Miasto) is a village in Frýdek-Místek District, Moravian-Silesian Region, Czech Republic. It has a population of 1,264 (2006). Staré Město lies on the confluence of Ostravice and Morávka rivers. It lies in the historical region of Těšín Silesia.
The name Staré Město (lit. Old Town) hints on its antecedence in comparison to the adjacent Frýdek. Indeed, Frýdek is not the oldest settlement in the area (first mentioned in 1386), but was preceded by Jemnicze mentioned in 1327 (and maybe earlier in 1305).[a] After Frýdek was established, it grew considerably and absorbed Jemnicze. Later in the area a village Staremiesto was first mentioned in 1434.
Politically the village belonged initially to the Duchy of Teschen, formed in 1290 in the process of feudal fragmentation of Poland and was ruled by a local branch of Piast dynasty. In 1327 the duchy became a fee of Kingdom of Bohemia, which after 1526 became part of the Habsburg Monarchy. In 1573 it was sold as one of 16 villages and the town of Friedeck and formed a state country split from the Duchy of Teschen.
After World War I and fall of Austria-Hungary it became a part of Czechoslovakia. In March 1939 it became a part of Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. After World War II it was restored to Czechoslovakia. The village was later merged into the town of Frýdek-Místek, but after a petition it separated as an independent municipality on 24 November 1990.
- More about Jemnicze in the article Frýdek, Frýdek-Místek.
- Mrózek, Robert (1984). Nazwy miejscowe dawnego Śląska Cieszyńskiego [Local names of former Cieszyn Silesia] (in Polish). Katowice: Uniwersytet Śląski w Katowicach. p. 164. ISSN 0208-6336.
- Panic, Idzi (2011). Śląsk Cieszyński w początkach czasów nowożytnych (1528-1653) [Cieszyn Silesia in the beginnings of Modern Era (1528-1653)] (in Polish). Cieszyn: Starostwo Powiatowe w Cieszynie. p. 224. ISBN 978-83-926929-5-9.
- Obec Staré Město. Historie. Archived 2014-09-15 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Staré Město (Frýdek-Místek District).|
- (in Czech) Official website
|This Moravian-Silesian Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|