Star-K Kosher Certification, also known as the Vaad Hakashrut of Baltimore (Hebrew: ועד הכשרות דבאלטימאר), is a kosher certification agency based in Baltimore, Maryland, under the administration of Rabbi Moshe Heinemann, with the involvement of many other rabbis. It is one of the largest Jewish dietary certification agencies in North America. It is trusted by many orthodox Jews worldwide for dedication to preserving Kashrut. The organization supervises tens of thousands of commercial food products and food establishments (such as restaurants and caterers) around the world.
The organization also provides other kosher certification labels:
Star-D supervision is provided for certain non-Cholov Yisroel dairy products and establishments. Traditional Star-K certification may be applied only if the product is chalav yisrael (that is, milk that has been milked under the supervision of a religiously observant Jew). Star-D products need not be chalav yisrael, though they must meet all other Star-K standards.
The Star-D label is administered:Rav Naftali Burnstein, Shlita, Rav d'Young Israel of Cleveland, is Rav HaMachshir by the Star-K but sponsored by the National Council of Young Israel of the United States, and many well-known brands have qualified for Star-D certification.
- Jennifer A. Kingson (April 9, 2009). "Making Kosher a Little More Convenient". The New York Times.
- "who's keeping kosher now? manufacturers value". WashingtonPost.com. September 27, 1989.
- "Meet Our Staff: STAR-K". www.star-k.org.
- "FOCUS". The Washington Post. April 5, 1993.
- "Star-K Women To Hold First Ever Training Event For Women 'Mashgichot' - Yeshiva World News". 4 May 2009.
- "Star-D: STAR-K".
Star-D is the registered trademark of the National Council of Young Israel.
- Eliezer Eidlitz (2004). Is it Kosher: Encyclopedia of Kosher Foods : Facts & Fallacies. ISBN 1583306161.
- "Graeter's Ice Cream" (PDF).
.. are DAIRY, non-Cholov Yisroel.
- "Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts". Kashrut.com.
".. when bearing a Star-D.
- "Star-D: STAR-K". www.star-k.org. Retrieved 2018-08-16.
- Shmuel Gonzales (2013). "Passover Cleaning: Purity of Home and Character".
- "Passover Kashrut Alerts". Kashrut.com.
|This article about a subject related to a Jewish organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Jewish cuisine–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|