|Founder||Artem Berman, Anton Kolomyeytsev|
|Headquarters||Middleton, Massachusetts, U.S.|
Virtual tape library Appliance
StarWind Software, Inc. is a computer software company specializing in storage virtualization and building iSCSI, Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), ATA-over-Ethernet (AoE) SAN, and NFS and SMB3 NAS as well using commodity hardware. Primary use case covered is VM, especially VDI, Microsoft Exchange Server, and Microsoft SQL Server  storage for Hyper-V, VMware  and Xen, and HA and DR scenarios. Recently StarWind started offering combined software-hardware solution called "HyperConverged Appliance"  which is aggregation of Dell and SuperMicro servers, hypervisor from Microsoft and VMware, StarWind own mature storage virtualization software  doing aggressive DRAM and flash caching, tiering and log-structuring for performance increase reasons, Veeam Software VM backup and replication, VM management and so on., essentially a "private-cloud-in-a-box".
StarWind Software is a privately held company which began in 2008 as a spin-off from Rocket Division Software, Ltd. (founded in 2003), with a round A of investment from ABRT Venture. It started providing early adopters with initially free software offerings in 2009  and doing this up to now.
StarWind iSCSI SAN software had reviews  such as ZDNet, OpenBench Labs, AnandTech, TechRepublic, and Microsoft TechNet. In 2009 StarWind Software won the Sprout Award from Everything Channel at XChange '09.
In December 2013 StarWind Software nearly won both "Storage Virtualization Product of the Year" and "Virtualization Management Product of the Year" titles from SVC Awards with Emulex LightPulse Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBA by Emulex and Cisco UCS Director (formerly Cloupia) by Cisco products in front.
In 2015 StarWind Software was nominated and came to final for "Virtualization / Software Defined Storage Product of the Year".
- "How To Break Free From Tier 1 SAN Vendors". Steve McMurray @ InformationWeek.
- "Whatever Happened to the VDI Revolution?". Jon William Toigo @ Virtualization Review.
- "Exchange 2007 SP1 SCC using Server 2008 StarWind iSCSI ". Elan Shudnow @ ShudNow.NET.
- "Set Up a SQL Server 2008 Cluster". Denny Cherry @ SQL Server Pro.
- "Hyper-V Live Migration: A Step-by-Step Guide". Michael Otey @ Windows IT Pro.
- "Low-cost VMware shared storage options, decision factors". David Davis @ TechTarget.
- "Hyper-V vs. vSphere: Which One's Better for Your Private Cloud?". Paul Schnackenburg @ Virtualization Review.
- "Handling Virtual Storage Challenges". Drew Robb @ Enterprise Storage Forum.
- "Open Source Storage Options". Jimmy Ray Purser @ Network World.
- "Virtualisation and disaster recovery: DR features in Hyper-V". Chris Evans @ Computer Wheekly.
- "Hyper-converged infrastructure systems deliver storage in a bundle". Chris Evans @ TechTarget.
- "Hyperconvergence: Hype and Promise". Jon William Toigo @ Virtualization Review.
- "Super Micro SuperServer Delivers the Power". Paul Ferrill @ ServerWatch'.
- "Cisco doesn't make hyper-converged gear, but if it did, it'd probably look like this". Chris Mellor @ The Register.
- "Let... the SAN shine: 2013 – the year of virtual storage area networks". Trevor Pott @ The Register.
- "DIY Storage: Picking the Right SAN Software". Jasmine McTigue @ Network Computing.
- "Software-based replication techniques break hardware chains". Chris Evans @ TechTarget.
- "Defining Software-Defined Storage". Howard Marks @ Network Computing.
- "The struggle between virtual machine performance and storage". Jon William Toigo @ TechTarget.
- "Software-defined storage vendors team, fate uncertain". Jon William Toigo @ TechTarget.
- "My Own Private Cloud". Paul Schnackenburg @ Virtualization Review.
- "SME storage challengers emerge one feature at a time". Trevor Pott @ The Register.
- "Far from politics, Russian money still fuels US startups". Adrien Henni @ East-West Digital News.
- "StarWind provides two free virtualization solutions". David Marshall @ InfoWorld.
- "StarWind offers free iSCSI software". Dave Simpson @ InfoWorld.
- "Converting Hyper-V VMs to VMware". Rod Trent @ Windows IT Pro.
- "DIY converged server software defined storage on a budget". Greg Schulz @ Data Center Journal.
- "Windows Server 2012: Building a Two-Node Failover Cluster". Michael Otey @ Windows IT Pro.
- "How to perform a virtual desktop migration between Type 1 hypervisors". Mike Nelson @ TechTarget.
- "ABRT Venture Fund Portfolio". ABRT Venture Fund.
- "StarWind Secures Funding for Hyper-V Software-Defined Storage Development". TheVARGuy.
- "AVentures Capital Invests in Ukrainian Startups Augmented Pixels and StarWind". Natasha Starkell @ GoalEurope.
- "Boston Roundup: Consumer United, StarWind, ezCater, Threat Stack". Curt Woodward @ XConomy.
- "Tech sector leading Ukraine's pro-European revival". Padraig Belton @ BBC News.
- "iSCSI on the Cheap". Chris Wolf @ Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine.
- "StarWind Software claims "Zero to SAN in 30 Minutes"". Dan Kusnetzky @ ZDNet.
- "How to jumpstart SAN + LAN convergence". Jack Fegreus @ InfoStor.
- "Affordable storage for the SME". Johan De Gelas @ AnandTech.
- "Building a robust test-lab at home with virtualization". Brad Bird @ TechRepublic.
- "Network-based storage options for robust home labs". Rick Vanover @TechRepublic.
- "Toolbox: New Products for IT Professionals.". Greg Steen @ Microsoft TechNet.
- "8 Hot New Startups At XChange '09". CRN Staff @ CRN.
- "Western Digital Sentinel DX4000". Trevor Pott @ The Register'.
- "SVC Awards 2013 Winners and Runners Up". SVC Awards.
- "SVC Awards 2014 Winners and Runners Up". SVC Awards.
- "Bradford Grammar School". Antony Adshead @ Computer Weekly.
- "Storage an investment magnet as 2014 funding soars to $1.79bn". Simon Robinson @ Computer Weekly.
- "SVC Awards 2015 Short List". SVC Awards.