West Branch Township, Missaukee County, Michigan
|West Branch Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.5 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,188 ft (362 m)|
|• Density||14.9/sq mi (5.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||49651 (Lake City)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627247|
- Star City is an unincorporated community in the township at . The settlement dates from approximately 1872. A post office named "Roy" Opened February 27, 1880, with Chauncey Brace as the first postmaster. The name changed to "Putnam" on June 6, 1883, with Elizabeth Putnam as postmaster. The name changed again to "Star City" on February 13, 1885 and was discontinued on December 15, 1923. 
- Keelans Corner is a small community in the township at Aetna Township. near the southern boundary with
- Missaukee Lake City. The post office operated from June 6, 1901, until June 15, 1921.  was a rural post office approximately eight miles northeast of
- The city of Lake City is to the southwest, and the Lake City post office with ZIP code 49651 also serves all of West Branch Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.7 square miles (92.5 km²), of which 35.7 square miles (92.4 km²) is land and 0.04 square mile (0.1 km²) (0.08%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 532 people, 182 households, and 137 families residing in the township. The population density was 14.9 per square mile (5.8/km²). There were 316 housing units at an average density of 8.9 per square mile (3.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.86% White, 0.19% African American, 1.13% Native American, 0.56% from other races, and 2.26% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.94% of the population.
There were 182 households out of which 36.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.1% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.7% were non-families. 20.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the township the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,161, and the median income for a family was $41,042. Males had a median income of $31,667 versus $21,667 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,057. About 4.5% of families and 12.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.4% of those under age 18 and 12.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: West Branch Township, Missaukee County, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Star City, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Star City Post Office (historical)
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Keelans Corner, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Missaukee Post Office (historical)
- 49651 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census