Star Light, Star Bright
|"Star Light, Star Bright"|
The lyrics usually conform to the following:
- Star light, star bright,
- The first star I see tonight;
- I wish I may, I wish I might,
- Have the wish I wish tonight.
The superstition of hoping for wishes granted when seeing a shooting or falling star may date back to the ancient world. Wishing on the first star seen may also predate this rhyme, which first began to be recorded in late nineteenth-century America. The song and tradition seem to have reached Britain by the early twentieth century and have since spread worldwide.
References in popular culture
- It is used in Walt Disney's movie Pinocchio (1940) and then in Walt Disney World's and Disneyland Paris's Wishes firework shows.
- It is used in Aurand Harris's children's play Arkansaw Bear. (1980)
- It is the name of a 1979 crime novel by Stanley Ellin.
- It is the title of a poem by Dorothy Parker.
- It forms some of the lyrics of Kimbra's song, "Settle Down".
- It forms the name and some of the lyrics of Syl Johnson's song, "Star Bright, Star Lite" (1975).
- This nursery rhyme appears in the movie 8 mm (1999)
- The Metallica song, "King Nothing" (1996), features the line "I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight".
- It is cited in Star Trek: The Original Series: "The Conscience of the King" (at the 19 minute, 5 seconds mark).
- Is used as title of the episode of Quantum Leap, "Star Light, Star Bright".
- In the movie The Last Starfighter (1984), the movie begins in a trailer park named "StarLight StarBright".
- It is used in the Abbott and Costello film In the Navy (1941).
- Is used as title of the short fiction 'Star light, star bright', 1953 by Alfred Bester.
- It is said by Caroline (Marisa Tomei), in Untamed Heart (1993).
- It is also mentioned in Samantha: An American Girl Holiday movie. When she hears that she would move in with her uncle, she and her friend run away to Samantha's boathouse and wishes on a star.
- Jeannie (Barbara Eden) says the Star Light, Star Bright nursery rhyme in the I Dream of Jeannie series, season 1, episode 7, "Anybody Here Seen Jeannie", around the 24th minute.
- Barbie recites it before she sings the song "The Wish I Wish Tonight" in Barbie: A Perfect Christmas.
- Lana Del Rey begins a leaked song "Serial Killer" by saying "Wish I may, Wish I might, Find my one true love tonight".
- Sally Brown sings the nursery rhyme in the movie "Happiness is a Warm Blanket", 2011.
- It is used on episode 13 of the anime "Is this a Zombie?", during an Uta-garuta tournament.
- It is the title of the 14th chapter of Streams of Silver from the Forgotten Realms novels, featuring Drizzt Do'Urden.
- R. Gerlings, Hey, Diddle, Diddle and Other Best-Loved Rhymes (Windmill Books, 2009), p. 32.
- I. Opie and M. Tatem, A Dictionary of Superstitions (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989), pp. 175-6.
- R. Webster, The Encyclopedia of Superstitions (Llewellyn Worldwide, 2008), p. 245.