The logo of Star Music (2014-present.)
|Parent company||ABS-CBN Corporation|
|Distributor(s)||Star Music Publishing (Philippines)|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Location||ABS-CBN Broadcasting Center, Sgt. Esguerra Avenue corner Mother Ignacia Street, Diliman, Quezon City|
Star Music (formerly Star Records; stylized as starmusic) is a record label in the Philippines owned and operated by media conglomerate ABS-CBN Corporation. It was formerly a separate company operating as a wholly owned subsidiary of ABS-CBN Corporation until 2013 when it was merged to ABS-CBN Film Productions, Inc. Its publishing and distribution subsidiary in the country is Star Music Publishing (formerly Star Songs, Inc.) and has over one thousand songs in its catalog including the classic song "Anak" by Freddie Aguilar .
Star Music was founded in February 1995 as Star Recording, Inc. with Star Records as its label. The record label was created by ABS-CBN Corporation to diversify its functions from a broadcast media to a full entertainment company. Commercial operations of the label started in September 1995, signing an exclusive distribution agreement with Sony Music Entertainment Philippines (now Ivory Music and Video) in the entire country, except in Metro Manila. Due to its distribution agreement with Sony, Star Records endured problems with distributing titles in Metro Manila. In August 1996, the record label engage into licensing deals in order to strengthen its production base and gain entry into the Metro Manila market. It first signed a 3-year license agreement with JML Records, a local rock label. The deal enabled the label to gain control of its catalogue of 30 titles. Later, Star Records signed deals with foreign-independent labels such as Beaver Music of the Netherlands, Music of Life of the United Kingdom, and Rox of Belgium.
In October 1996, Star Records renewed its licensing deal with Sony which also includes 30 dealerships in Metro Manila. The deal enabled the label to get a significant presence in Metro Manila's market. By December of the same year, the label's number of signed artists increased to twenty artists. In June 1997, Star Records signed a distribution and licensing agreement with Taiwan's Rock Records, which also involved products from about forty independent European and American labels. Also under this deal, albums by named international artists helped improved Star Records' market profile.
In 2013, Star Recording, Inc. and Star Songs, Inc. were both merged to ABS-CBN Film Productions. In 2014, it changed its name to Star Music. In the same year, they launched their very own music downloading website. This is also the time where Star Music started to release their songs on iTunes, Spotify, and other music downloading and streaming websites and applications. They also revamped their YouTube channel as a response to the current trend in the consumption of music and video contents on the internet.
In September 2015, Star Music acquired the copyrights to around 116 original compositions of Tito Sotto, Vic Sotto and Joey de Leon which includes songs popularized by 70's group VST & Co., Sharon Cuneta, and Nora Aunor, and popular songs such as "Ipagpatawad Mo," "Tayo'y Magsayawan" and "Awitin Mo, Isasayaw Ko."
On January 31, 2016, after 10 years, rapper Gloc-9 signed a record deal with Star Music, the record label who introduced Gloc-9 to mainstream listeners. Two of the most successful albums of Gloc-9, G9 and Ako Si... were released under Star Records back in 2003 and 2005 respectively. These albums brought Gloc-9's biggest smash hits with songs like "Simpleng Tao" and "Hinahanap Ng Puso (feat. Hannah Romawac of Session Road)".
- ASAP Music – A sub-label for the television musical variety show ASAP. It was launched in 2006.
- Black Bird Music – A sub-label; It is headed by Aiza Seguerra, which is also the label's founder.
- NuGen Records – A sub label for independent and alternative artists.
- Star Events - concerts and events organizer.
- Star Home Video
- Budget Music
- Istilo Records
- Startraxx Records – a sub-label for film and television soundtracks.
- ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra (ensemble)
- Angeline Quinto
- Aiza Seguerra
- Bryan Termulo
- Daniel Padilla
- Donna Cruz
- Ebe Dancel
- Enchong Dee
- Erik Santos
- Gary Valenciano
- Generation (band)
- Gimme 5 (pop group)
- Gloc 9 (rapper)
- Harana (pop group)
- Jamie Rivera
- Janella Salvador
- Jed Madela
- Jericho Rosales
- Jolina Magdangal
- Jovit Baldivino
- Juris Fernandez
- Khalil Ramos
- Kim Chiu
- Lani Misalucha
- KZ Tandingan
- Kathryn Bernardo
- Liezel Garcia
- Marcelito Pomoy
- Marion Aunor
- Morissette Amon
- Piolo Pascual
- Reo Brothers (band)
- Rose Fostanes
- Sam Milby
- Teddy Corpuz
- Toni Gonzaga
- True Faith (band)
- Vice Ganda
- Yeng Constantino
- Young JV
- "Company Information: Star Records, Inc.". ABS-CBN Investor Relations. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "About Star Songs". Star Records. Archived from the original on February 19, 2012. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "About Us". Star Music. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Corporate Members of the Philippine Association of the Record Industry". Philippine Association of the Record Industry. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Star Records, Inc. Corporate Profile". Philippine Association of the Record Industry. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Songwriter Acel to be launched as the country's first digital artist". Philippine Entertainment Portal. June 22, 2007. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "LOOK: Toni reunites with Tito, Vic and Joey". ABS-CBN News. September 21, 2015.
- "Gloc-9 returns to Star Music after 10 years". ABS-CBNnews.com. February 1, 2016.
- "About Us". ASAP. ABS-CBN. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Carol shares a piece of her life". The Philippine Star. December 6, 2010. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Star Records signs up Chiro". The Philippine Star. August 15, 2011. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "artist". abs-cbn.com.