Star Trek: Starfleet Command
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michael Donovan Mandap
|Series||Star Trek: Starfleet Command|
|Release||August 11, 1999|
|Genre(s)||Space flight simulator|
Star Trek: Starfleet Command is a computer game based on the table-top wargame Star Fleet Battles. It was developed by 14° East and Quicksilver Software and published by Interplay Entertainment. It was released on August 11, 1999 for the Microsoft Windows. It simulates starship operations, ship-to-ship combat, and fleet warfare in the Star Trek universe. An expanded version was released in 2000 titled Star Trek: Starfleet Command - Gold Edition. It includes the latest patch and all the missions that were downloadable from the official website.
Gameplay consists of maneuvering one's ship to approach enemy ships and assault them in the areas where various systems and ship's shields are vulnerable. It also consists of achieving various other objectives specified in mission assignment, which are provided at the beginning of each scenario. Depending on the specific assignment, this can include interacting with various ships, aliens, planetary bodies, and other objects in space.
Though the game has no central story-mode campaign, players may play as a member of one of six stellar powers, each one having at least one elite organization that, when joined, will trigger special missions that tell various stories. Though having unique stories, each race's special missions all contribute expository information on the fate of a race known as the Organians and the effect that their departure from known space has since caused.
|PC Gamer (UK)||79%|
According to Erik Bethke, sales of Starfleet Command surpassed 350,000 copies after a year on shelves "without counting the Gold Edition and the Neutral Zone expansion." It was Interplay's best-selling game through direct sales, above Baldur's Gate.
The editors of Computer Games Strategy Plus nominated Starfleet Command for their 1999 "Real-Time Strategy Game of the Year" award, which ultimately went to Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. They wrote that Starfleet Command "avoided the curse of the Star Trek game and produced a game of remarkable depth coupled with simple mechanics."
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command II: Empires at War
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command III
- "Star Trek: Starfleet Command for PC". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Rubin, Brian. "Star Trek: Starfleet Command - Review". AllGame. All Media Network. Archived from the original on November 15, 2014. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Sones, Benjamin E. (September 2, 1999). "[Star Trek] Starfleet Command". Computer Games Strategy Plus. theGlobe.com. Archived from the original on August 28, 2002. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Ferrel, Keith (November 1999). "True Trek At Last! ([Star Trek] Starfleet Command Review)" (PDF). Computer Gaming World. No. 184. Ziff Davis. p. 166. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "REVIEW for Star Trek: Starfleet Command". GameFan. Shinno Media. October 15, 1999.
- "Star Trek: Starfleet Command". Game Informer. No. 79. FuncoLand. November 1999.
- Larka, Lance (October 1999). "Star Trek: Starfleet Command Review [date mislabeled as "December 1998"]". Game Revolution. CraveOnline. Archived from the original on February 14, 2004. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Poole, Stephen (August 27, 1999). "Star Trek: Starfleet Command Review". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Kemuel (September 17, 1999). "Star Trek: Starfleet Command Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on February 19, 2003. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Ward, Trent C. (August 11, 1999). "[Star Trek] Starfleet Command". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Lee, John (November 1999). "Finals". Next Generation. Vol. 2 no. 3. Imagine Media. p. 124.
- "Star Trek: Starfleet Command". PC Gamer UK. Future plc. 1999.
- Bethke, Erik (January 25, 2003). Game Development and Production. Wordware Publishing. p. 16. ISBN 1556229518.
- Asher, Mark (April 10, 2000). "Game Spin: Star Trek and Diablo II". CNET Gamecenter. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on August 24, 2000.
- CGM staff (March 6, 2000). "The Computer Games Awards: The Best Games of 1999 (Real-time Strategy Game of the Year)". Computer Games Strategy Plus. theGlobe.com. Archived from the original on April 1, 2005. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "Top 10 Star Trek Games". Tom's Guide. 2016-07-21. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- Cobbett, Richard (2017-09-25). "The best Star Trek games". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command at MobyGames
|Part of the article series on|
|Star Fleet Universe|