Star Trek: Stargazer
Star Trek: Stargazer is a series of Star Trek novels written by Michael Jan Friedman. The novels are about the adventures of the USS Stargazer (NCC-2893), which was Jean-Luc Picard's first command. While not official canon, these stories can be viewed as a prequel to the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Many of the characters originally appeared in Friedman's 1992 novel Reunion (ISBN 0-671-78755-1).
Main characters in the Stargazer crew include:
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, captain of the Stargazer
- Lieutenant Commander Gilaad Ben Zoma, first officer
- Lieutenant Commander Jack Crusher, second officer (until his death)
- Lieutenant Commander Elizabeth Wu, second officer
- Lieutenant Gerda Asmund, navigator
- Lieutenant Idun Asmund, helm officer
- Lieutenant Nol Kastiigan, science officer. He is a Kandilkari and was assigned to the Stargazer to replace the previous chief science officer, Juanita Valderrama, who had been dismissed because of unethical behaviour.
- Ensign Cole Paris, helm officer. Assigned on board the Stargazer after Ensign Joe Caber was dismissed, and replaced Caber as Ensign Andreas Nikolas's roommate.
- Dikembe Ulelo, communications officer. Replaced by an alien shapeshifter who spied on the activities of USS Stargazer. The alien was discovered and Ulelo found and reunited with the crew.
- Lieutenant Vigo, chief weapons officer
- Lieutenant Phigus Simenon, chief engineer. The crew assisted Simenon with his mating ritual on his home planet.
- Lieutenant Bill Refsland, transporter operator
- Lieutenant Peter Joseph, security chief
- Lieutenant Obal, security guard
- Ensign Andreas Nikolas, security guard. He is somewhat laid-back and not too devoted to his job. He has a way of arriving at assignments and meetings at the last minute, which has earned him the nickname "Nik of time".
- Crewperson Emily Bender, science officer
- Ensign Jiterica, science officer. Jiterica's natural form is a cloud of mist, and she has to constantly wear a heavy, awkward containment suit to facilitate interaction with the Stargazer and fellow crewmembers. Even the face shown in the suit's helmet and her voice are artificial, generated by a portable computer.
- Carter Greyhorse, chief medical officer
The books currently available include:
- The Valiant: Actually three books in one volume. Books One and Three: The SS Valiant unsuccessfully attempts to cross the galactic barrier, necessitating the destruction of the ship by Captain Carlos Tarasco. The survivors develop telekinetic and telepathic powers, landing on the planet Magnia. Book Two: Lured across the galactic barrier to investigate Magnia and the Nuyyad, Picard must take command of the Stargazer when its original captain, Daithan Ruhalter, is killed in battle.
- Gauntlet: The Stargazer is ordered to track down and arrest a pirate called the White Wolf.
- Progenitor: The Stargazer’s chief engineer, Phigus Simenon, wants to go on his homeworld to participate in a ritual contest to earn the right to mate. Picard and his crew accompany him.
- Three: An anomaly in space creates an inter-dimensional rift in which a member of the crew's doppelganger mysteriously transports aboard the USS Stargazer.
- Oblivion: Picard meets Guinan for the first time, and he must beat the Cardassians to reach an alien with vital information.
- Enigma: A mysterious alien ship is attacking Starfleet vessels, one by one. Picard's first officer Gilaad Ben Zoma and his superior, Admiral Arlen McAteer, are kidnapped.
- Maker: A mysterious alien hijacks the freighter Ikton'ji, planning to start a war with the Ubarrak. To prevent the war, Picard must team up with a woman who betrayed him in the past. (This novel is a direct sequel to The Valiant.)