Star Trek: Typhon Pact
|Author||David Alan Mack, Michael A. Martin, David R. George III, Dayton Ward, Christopher L. Bennett, Una McCormack|
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster|
|Published||October 2010 to September 2012|
|No. of books||8|
|Preceded by||'Star Trek: Destiny|
|Followed by||'Star Trek: The Fall|
Star Trek: Typhon Pact is a series of eight novels set in the universe of the American science fiction franchise Star Trek. It features a series of crossovers between several different series of novels, including The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Titan. The Typhon Pact itself has been compared to the Warsaw Pact as a Cold War situation begins in the Star Trek Universe, and one of the books in the series has been described as an allegory for the Arab Spring.
The Typhon Pact Series follows the events of the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy by David Alan Mack, along with the stand-alone novel A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido and features crossovers between several series of Star Trek novels. The plot describes the formation of the "Typhon Pact" - an alliance of several alien civilizations against the Federation following the defeat of the Borg in 2381. These races include the Romulans, the Breen, the Tholians, the Gorn, the Tzenkethi and the Kinshaya. In response to these developments, the United Federation of Planets, the Klingon Empire, the Cardassian Union and the Ferengi Alliance form a new collective security organization, similar to NATO and later referred to as the Khitomer Accords Alliance. With the two power blocs now opposed to one another, a cold war descends upon the galaxy as events and incidents described in the novels illustrate the actions taken on both sides of the conflict. Characters from the Star Trek Universe are seen conducting secret actions ranging from intelligence gathering, to covert operations and sabotage.
While the first few books of the series act as stand alone novels, the final three act as a trilogy entitled The Khitomer Accords Saga. The novels feature the USS Enterprise under Captain Jean-Luc Picard, the USS Titan under Captain William T. Riker and the USS Aventine under Captain Ezri Dax.
The Typhon Pact concept was created by editor Marco Palmieri, and first introduced in Keith R.A. DeCandido's novel A Singular Destiny. The covers of the novels in the series were redesigned prior to their German language release in June 2013.
Empire magazine considered the Typhon Pact to be the franchise's version of the Warsaw Pact, with the Federation playing the part of NATO. They also described it as "extraordinary" that no one had considered the storyline previously. Other elements of the miniseries have been compared to real world events, with the plot of The Struggle Within compared to the Egyptian Revolution of 2011 by the website WhatCulture!, and the Arab Spring in general.
List of books
|1||Zero Sum Game||David Alan Mack||October 2010|
|2||Seize the Fire||Michael A. Martin||October 2010|
|3||Rough Beasts of Empire||David R. George III||December 2010|
|4||Paths of Disharmony||Dayton Ward||January 2011|
|5||The Struggle Within||Christopher L. Bennett||April 2011|
|6||Plagues of Night||David R. George III||May 2012|
|7||Raise the Dawn||David R. George III||June 2012|
|8||Brinkmanship||Una McCormack||September 2012|
- "Star Trek Magazine Issue #29 Preview". Star Trek.com. September 29, 2010. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Expanded Universe: Star Trek: The Typhon Pact Series". Empire. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Chris Bennett Previews Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within". Star Trek.com. October 4, 2011. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Khitomer Accords Saga". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "David R. George III - New Trek Novels, Part 1". Star Trek.com. May 27, 2012. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Leao, Gustavo (January 23, 2013). "UPDATE : New German Covers for Entire Typhon Pact Novel Series". TrekWeb.com. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Putman, John (April 18, 2012). "Star Trek Novel Explores Arab Spring". WhatCulture!. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "2010 Updated Star Trek Book Schedule". TrekNation. January 29, 2010. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship Available On Tuesday". Star Trek.com. September 23, 2012. Retrieved August 31, 2013.