Star Wars: The Force Awakens (novel)
|Author||Alan Dean Foster|
|Audio read by||Marc Thompson|
|Publisher||Del Rey Books|
|Media type||Print (hardcover & paperback)|
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the novelization of the 2015 film of the same name. The author, Alan Dean Foster, also wrote Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, the 1976 novelization of the first Star Wars film.
Differences between the novel and the film
- A prologue featuring an excerpt from the "Journal of the Whills", a fictional journal first mentioned in Foster's first Star Wars novelization.
- Early in the novel, a sequence with Leia reveals the origin of main factions in the film: the Resistance, the New Republic and the First Order.
- A section revealing how Poe Dameron escapes from the crashed TIE fighter and leaves Jakku.
- A sequence where Rey and Chewbacca encounter Unkar Plutt on Takodana.
To avoid spoilers caused by the book being released before the movie, the hardcover release was delayed until January 5, 2016. The e-book was released on December 18, 2015. The book was a #1 New York Times best seller.
- Granshaw, Lisa (January 22, 2016). "Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization: An interview with Alan Dean Foster". Blastr. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- Shepherd, Jack (January 7, 2016). "Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 16 questions the novel answers". The Independent. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Taylor, Chris (December 29, 2015). "27 Star Wars: The Force Awakens questions answered by the novel". Mashable. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Anderton, Ethan (November 3, 2015). "Disney delays The Force Awakens novel to avoid spoilers". /Film. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Jones, Dominic (January 14, 2016). "The Force Awakens Novelization Hits #1 on New York Times Best Sellers List". Star Wars Underworld. Retrieved August 12, 2016.