Star Wars Resistance
|Star Wars Resistance|
|Created by||Dave Filoni|
|Based on||Star Wars|
by George Lucas
|Composer(s)||Michael Tavera |
(Based on themes by John Williams)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11 (list of episodes)|
|Production company(s)||Lucasfilm Animation |
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney Channel |
|Picture format||16:9 HDTV|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||October 7, 2018– present|
Star Wars Resistance is an American animated television series inspired by Japanese anime and produced by Lucasfilm Animation. The series premiered on Disney Channel on October 7, 2018, and later debuted on Disney XD in the United States and worldwide. Twelve shorts debuted on the Disney Channel YouTube channel in December of 2018.
The series is set three decades after the events of Return of the Jedi, in the era of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, and follows a pilot who is recruited by the Resistance to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. The series begins six months before The Force Awakens and will eventually cross over with it.
On January 9, 2019, Star Wars Resistance was renewed for a second season.
Cast and characters
- Christopher Sean as Kazuda Xiono
- Scott Lawrence as Jarek Yeager
- Josh Brener as Neeku Vozo
- Suzie McGrath as Tam Ryvora
- Bobby Moynihan as Orka
- Jim Rash as Flix
- Donald Faison as Hype Fazon
- Myrna Velasco as Torra Doza
- Lex Lang as Major Vonreg
- Stephen Stanton as Griff Halloran
- Jason Hightower as Captain Doza
- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Freya Fenris
- Diedrich Bader as Bo Keevil
- Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron
- Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma
- Liam McIntyre as Commander Pyre
- Elijah Wood as Jace Rucklin
- Carolyn Hennesy as General Leia Organa
- Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
- Rachael MacFarlane as Lin Gaava
- Frank Welker as Chelidae
- Matthew Wood as Ello Asty
Season 1 (2018)
|No.||Title ||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||Prod.|
|"The Recruit"||Steward Lee and Saul Ruiz||Story by : Dave Filoni |
Teleplay by : Brandon Auman
|October 7, 2018||101|
|Young New Republic pilot Kazuda Xiono is recruited into the Resistance by Commander Poe Dameron, who brings Kaz to Colossus, an aircraft refueling station on the ocean planet Castilon. Kaz's mission is to get to know everyone at this haven for the galaxy's best pilots, and learn who is working with the First Order. After a misunderstanding paints Kaz as the self-declared "best pilot in the known galaxy", he must compete in a dangerous race to prove himself. Poe's associate Jarek Yaeger lends Kaz a ship in need of repairs, The Fireball, which irks mechanic Tam Ryvora. Kaz chooses young pilot Torra Doza as his opponent, soon learning that she is undefeated. Kaz runs a good race, but crashes when he pushes The Fireball too hard.|
|3||"The Triple Dark"||Sergio Paez||Kevin Burke and Chris Wyatt||October 14, 2018[note 1]||103||0.47|
|While Kaz struggles to maintain his cover as a mechanic at Colossus, Yeager's shop receives a new customer in the form of the Neimoidian Hallion Nark, who wants the repairs to his ship to be completed before the next "triple dark", a storm that causes low visibility on Castilon. Besides juggling his work as a mechanic and spy, Kaz also has to contend with the Aleena Grevel over debts accumulated during a game of holodarts. The Quarren pirate Kragan Gorr and his gang attack the Colossus during a "triple dark" storm. Kaz manages to drive away the pirates by using a comlink to beam a jammer into their communications systems. At the exposition, it is revealed that Kragan and his pirates are proxies serving the First Order, which hope to use the chaos to establish a foothold at Colossus.|
|4||"Fuel for the Fire"||Bosco Ng||Eugene Son||October 21, 2018[note 1]||104||0.39|
|Still struggling to fit in as a mechanic at Yeager's repair shop, Kaz is befriended by the young racer Jace Rucklin and his associates. Having gained Kaz's trust after staging a rescue during a swoop bike ocean race, Rucklin convinces Kaz to let him visit Yeager's trophy room under the pretext of seeing Yeager's racer. Rucklin steals a bottle of Corellian hyperfuel for his racer. Upon learning of the theft and the volatile nature of hyperfuel, Kaz saves Rucklin's life but earns the enmity of the young racer and his friends. Despite his unsatisfactory performance, Yeager gives Kaz a second chance because he views him as a good person who saved Rucklin from himself.|
|5||"The High Tower"||Steward Lee||Stephany Folsom||October 28, 2018||105||0.38|
|Captain Doza's fuel rationing forces Kaz and the rest of Yeager's team down to Aunt Z's cafe, where Kaz meets Hype Fazon. Hype reveals that the First Order is bringing fuel to Colossus, and Kaz runs outside to watch the First Order's ship as it comes in. Hype then invites Tam, Kaz, and BB-8 to visit the High Tower, and Kaz excitedly agrees, hoping to find out what the First Order is doing on the platform. Using a comm link, he is able to listen in to Major Vonreg's meeting with Doza and discovers the First Order is offering protection from the pirates in exchange for control of the station, however as he leaves Vonreg discovers Kaz's actions. After a daring chase-and an encounter with Doza’s daughter—Torra, Kaz eventually ends up back at Yeager's shop, but not before Doza begins to suspect him as the spy.|
|6||"The Children from Tehar"||Saul Ruiz||Paul Giacoppo||November 4, 2018||106||0.41|
|Kaz damages Tam's acceleration compensator, and promises to replace it although he is short on credits. At Aunt Z's, Kaz hears about a 20,000 credit bounty on two runaway children, which could solve his money issues. Kaz runs into the children, Kel and Eila, at the market, but they escape. Neeku introduces Kaz to the platform's engineers, the "shellfolk" Chelidae, who promise to look out for Kel and Eila. Kaz is summoned by Doza, who questions him about the children. Once Kaz leaves, Doza contacts Captain Phasma of the First Order, who sends troops to retrieve the fugitives. Out of sight of the troops, two Chelidae take the children's place and jump into the water. By slowing their life signs, the two Chelidae fake the troopers into believing that the children have drowned. Kaz passes on intelligence to the Resistance about Kylo Ren and the First Order wiping out Kel and Eila's village on Tehar in the Unknown Regions.|
|7||"Signal from Sector Six"||Sergio Paez||Brandon Auman||November 11, 2018||107||0.41|
|With the approval of Yeager, Kaz takes leave on a starfighter training exercise with Poe. During the training exercise, the two receive a distress signal from a damaged ship, which had been attacked by pirates. While searching the ship for survivors, Kaz and Poe along with their droids BB-8 and CB-23 are attacked by several Kowakian monkey-lizards and a large Kowakian ape-lizard, the cousin of the smaller creatures. The two Resistance pilots also rescue a Mirialan crew member named Synara San, whom they bring back to the Colossus with the reluctant permission of Yeager. Unknown to the others, Synara is part of Kragan Gorr's pirate gang and becomes their undercover operative on the Colossus.|
|8||"Synara's Score"||Bosco Ng||Gavin Hignight||November 18, 2018||108||0.54|
|Captain Doza hires Yeager's Team Fireball to repair the turbolaser system's tracking computer. The repairs are complicated by a rare missing military grade computer chip. With the help of Synara who has found work as a scavenger, Kaz and Tam managed to obtain the computer chip from a sunken starship. As a result, the two come to trust Synara. In secret, Synara informs Kragan Gorr that Ace Squadron is away and the Colossus' turbolaser defense systems are down. During the pirate attack, Kaz and Yeager fight with pirates while reinstalling the tracking computer. Meanwhile, Tam and BB-8 rush into the loading docks to rescue Synara. Team Fireball managed to drive the pirates away but the second raid leads Captain Doza to seek protection from the First Order.|
|9||"The Platform Classic"||Steward Lee||Kevin Burke & Chris Wyatt||November 25, 2018||109||0.33|
|In an attempt to boost the Colossus' economy, Captain Doza invites Yeager's estranged younger brother and renowned racer Marcus Speedstar to the Platform Classic. Still bitter at Speedstar for causing the deaths of his wife and daughter during a racing accident ten years ago, Yeager refuses to speak with Speedstar. Despite the high life, Speedstar struggles with paying his debts to the Guavian Death Gang, who kidnap his mechanic Oplock. Yeager's attempt to force Speedstar to pull out of the race backfires and Yeager is compelled to participate in the Platform Classic. At the urging of both Speedstar and Kaz, Yeager decides to forgive his younger brother and allows Speedstar to win the race. After paying Speedstar's debts to the Guavians and freeing Oplock, the two brothers reconcile before parting ways.|
|10||"Secrets and Holograms"||Saul Ruiz||Stephany Folsom||December 2, 2018||110||0.38|
|Tired of being cooped up inside the luxurious Doza Tower, Captain Doza's daughter Torra Doza sneaks out of the tower. She encounters Kaz and BB-8, who are seeking information on Captain Doza's connections with the First Order. In the marketplace, Torra encounters growing public dissatisfaction with her father's leadership of the Colossus. While the First Order's emissary Commander Pyre negotiates an agreement with Captain Doza, Kaz befriends Torra Doza over a flight simulator game. Kaz manages to download a copy of Captain Doza's agreement but is spotted by Rucklin, who still bears a grudge against him for the loss of his racer. Kaz manages to hide from Captain Doza and Rucklin inside a closet but discovers Doza's Imperial uniform, confirming that he once served the Galactic Empire. Torra helps Kaz to escape but the two narrowly avoid being incinerated in a trash incinerator. Following the misadventure, Torra grows curious about Kaz's true identity.|
|11||"Station Theta Black"||Sergio Paez||Brandon Auman||December 9, 2018||111||0.38|
|Kaz borrows the Fireball in order to rendezvous with Poe and the Resistance. However, Tam had not finished installing the stabilizer and Kaz loses control of the ship. He is rescued by a Resistance CR90 corvette. General Organa assigns Poe and Kaz to scout a possible First Order flight path. Traveling to the coordinates, they discover Station Theta Black, a First Order asteroid mining facility. Their presence attracts the attention of Captain Phasma and Major Vonreg, who lead a contingent to destroy the station, wiping out evidence of is existence. Following a pursuit, Kaz and Poe managed to escape the doomed station. Back at base, Kaz, Poe and Leia agree that a war is looming.|
|12||"Bibo"||Bosco Ng||Paul Giacoppo||January 13, 2019||112||TBD|
|13||"Dangerous Business"||TBA||TBA||January 20, 2019||113||TBD|
|14||"The Doza Dilemma"||TBA||TBA||January 27, 2019||114||TBD|
|15||"The First Order Occupation"||TBA||TBA||February 3, 2019||115||TBD|
|16||"The New Trooper"||TBA||TBA||February 10, 2019||116||TBD|
|17||"The Core Problem"||TBA||TBA||February 17, 2019||117||TBD|
|18||"The Disappeared"||TBA||TBA||February 24, 2019||118||TBD|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"The Search for Kaz"||TBA||TBA||December 10, 2018||TBA|
|BB-8 tries to find Kaz.|
|2||"Dart and Cover"||TBA||TBA||December 10, 2018||TBA|
|Kaz and Bucket compete at a game of darts.|
|3||"Neeku's Reward"||TBA||TBA||December 10, 2018||TBA|
|Neeku's food gets away from him.|
|4||"When Thieves Drop By"||TBA||TBA||December 17, 2018||TBA|
|Flix and Orka are robbed.|
|5||"Treasure Chest"||TBA||TBA||December 17, 2018||TBA|
|Flix and Orka receive a chest of "treasure."|
|6||"G-LN"||TBA||TBA||December 17, 2018||TBA|
|A pit droid goes crazy in the cantina.|
|7||"Bucket's Quest"||TBA||TBA||December 23, 2018||TBA|
|Bucket has lost his helmet and tries everything to get it back.|
|8||"Unmotivated"||TBA||TBA||December 24, 2018||TBA|
|Hype asks Flix and Orka to repair his R4 droid.|
|9||"The Need for Speed"||TBA||TBA||December 24, 2018||TBA|
|The Ace Squadron compete in a race to challenge Hype's number one rank.|
|10||"Sixty Seconds to Destruction"||TBA||TBA||December 31, 2018||TBA|
|The Aces prevent a ship from crashing into the Colossus.|
|11||"Buggle's Day Out"||TBA||TBA||December 31, 2018||TBA|
|Buggles causes problems for Kaz.|
|12||"The Rematch"||TBA||TBA||December 31, 2018||TBA|
|Kaz and Torra test the Fireball's thrusters.|
On April 26, 2018, the series was officially announced and scheduled for a Fall 2018 debut. The show was created by Dave Filoni, veteran Lucasfilm animation worker, who previously directed the 2008 film Star Wars: The Clone Wars, developed the subsequent television series, created, developed, and executive produced Star Wars Rebels, and in 2017 became the head of Lucasfilm Animation. Filoni said the show was influenced by anime, and by his grandfather's experiences in World War II. By August 1, 2018, Polygon Pictures was selected as the animation production company.
On August 12, 2018, Filoni stated that he will not work as directly on Resistance in a day-to-day capacity as he has on previous projects due to his work on the final episodes of The Clone Wars. However, he will provide direction and notes to the story team, a role he compared to George Lucas' input on The Clone Wars.
Along with the official series announcement, it was announced that Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie will reprise their roles as Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, respectively. They will be joined by Christopher Sean, Bobby Moynihan, Suzie McGrath, Scott Lawrence, Myrna Velasco, Josh Brener, Donald Faison, Jim Rash, and Rachel Butera. General Leia Organa, Kylo Ren and BB-8 were also announced to appear on the series.
A trailer was released on August 17, 2018, showcasing the new animation style and characters. It received a negative reaction from fans, including criticism for its apparent targeting of younger viewers and both praise and criticism for the anime-style CGI. Blair Marnell of Nerdist compared the initial reaction to the early stigma The Clone Wars and Rebels suffered for similarly targeting younger demographics during release, only for both to become more positively received with subsequent seasons.
The series debuted in the United States on Disney Channel on October 7, 2018, with Disney XD airing the series later in the United States and worldwide, with the exception of all live-action shows are sold by Disney Channel in Southeast Asia.
Resistance holds a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 13 reviews, with an average rating of 6.72/10. The site's consensus states "Star Wars: Resistance's streamlined story sets the stage for exciting adventures—and seems poised to explore a canvas stocked with immediately relatable characters and plenty of potential." On IMDB, the film has a score of 4,7 out of 10, based on 1529 votes.
- These episodes first premiered on Disney's streaming service DisneyNow on October 7, 2018.
- Milligan, Mercedes (August 1, 2018). "Polygon Pictures Producing New Star Wars Resistance Series". Animation Magazine. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Keane, Sean. "Star Wars Resistance shorts tide fans over during midseason break". CNET. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- Liptak, Andrew (April 26, 2018). "Star Wars: Resistance will be the next animated Star Wars show". The Verge. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- Young, Bryan (October 2, 2018). "Star Wars Resistance harbors crazy deep cuts and will cross over with The Force Awakens". Syfy. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- "STAR WARS: RESISTANCE' GETS A SECOND SEASON + MID-SEASON TRAILER FOR THE REST OF SEASON ONE". Star Wars News Net.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 26, 2018). "Star Wars Resistance Animated Series Set at Disney Channel". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on May 20, 2018. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Breznican, Anthony (August 17, 2018). "Watch the soaring new trailer for the Star Wars: Resistance animated series". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on August 17, 2018. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "Meet the Aces in a New Star Wars Resistance Featurette | StarWars.com". StarWars.com. 2018-09-14. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- McIntyre, Liam [@Liam_J_McIntyre] (November 5, 2018). "Hope you don't mind sharing your universe with my Gold Commander Pyre Mr @HamillHimself" (Tweet). Retrieved December 13, 2018 – via Twitter.
- "Fuel for the Fire". www.disneyabcpress.com. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- Larsen, Brian [@LaneWinree] (December 9, 2018). "Rachel Butera appears to have been replaced. Carolyn Hennesy is now credited as playing Leia on Resistance" (Tweet). Retrieved December 13, 2018 – via Twitter.
- "Star Wars Resistance". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 14, 2018.
- "Star Wars Resistance: Episodes". Disney ABC Press. Retrieved October 14, 2018 – via disneyabcpress.com.
- Metcalf, Mitch (October 9, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.7.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- "Watch The First Three Episodes of Star Wars Resistance on the Disney Now Streaming App". October 7, 2018. Retrieved October 13, 2018 – via TheForce.net.
- Metcalf, Mitch (October 16, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.14.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (October 23, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.21.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (October 30, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.28.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "NOVEMBER 2018 PROGRAMMING HIGHLIGHTS FOR DISNEY CHANNEL, DISNEY XD AND DISNEY JUNIOR". October 19, 2018. Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (November 6, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.4.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (November 13, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.11.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (November 20, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.18.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Salem, Mitch (November 28, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 11.25.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- "Star Wars Resistance: Dec 2018 Episodes". Tumblr. November 10, 2018. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (December 4, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 12.2.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (December 9, 2018). "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 12.9.2018". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- "February 2019 Premieres". Retrieved January 13, 2019.
- Anderton, Ethan (February 22, 2018). "Star Wars: Resistance May Be Lucasfilm's Latest Star Wars TV Series". /Film. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- Anderton, Ethan (August 15, 2018). "Star Wars Resistance Animated Series Won't Have Dave Filoni Running the Ship". /Film. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- Huver, Scott (August 12, 2018). "Star Wars Rebels Creator Dave Filoni Reveals How Season4 Almost Ended and His Clone Wars Revival Plans". IGN. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- Brockington, Ariana (April 26, 2018). "Disney Channel Orders Star Wars Resistance Animated Series". Variety. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Star Wars Resistance First Look". Disney. August 17, 2018. Retrieved August 19, 2018 – via YouTube.
- Flint, Hanna (August 20, 2018). "Disney's Star Wars Resistance animated series gets severe backlash online". Yahoo! Lifestyle. Hanna Flint. Yahoo!. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
The video has received over 34,000 dislikes compared to around 8,300 likes with the comments section filled with passionately negative reactions.
- Marnell, Blair (August 17, 2018). "Star Wars Fans Are Split Over Resistance". Nerdist. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- Prudom, Laura (April 26, 2018). "Star Wars Resistance: Disney Orders Anime-Inspired TV Show from Rebels Creator Dave Filoni". IGN. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Star Wars Resistance: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Star Wars Resistance on IMDb , January 10, 2019