This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||15 December 1991|
|Closed||1 October 2017 (Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Vietnam) (except Middle East, China, Taiwan, Pakistan, South Asia, Kazakhstan)|
|Owned by||Fox Networks Group|
576i (16:9/4:3) (SDTV)|
|Broadcast area||Hong Kong (channel based in Asia Pacific, available in China, India, Macau, Nepal, Pakistan, Middle East, Vietnam, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Kazakhstan)|
(15 December 1991 – 31 March 1996)
|Dish TV |
Channel 457 (SD) |
Channel 39 (HD)
|Tata Sky |
Channel 201 (HD) |
Channel 202 (SD)
|Reliance Digital TV |
|Sun Direct |
Channel 931 (HD) |
Channel 454 (SD)
|Airtel digital TV |
Channel 148 (SD) |
Channel 149 (HD)
|Videocon d2h |
Channel 179 (SD) |
Channel 180 (HD)
|OSN (Middle East|
& North Africa)
|Channel 210 (HD)|
|beIN (MENA)||Channel 163 (HD)|
Channel 50 (SD)|
Channel 377 (HD)
|Taiwan CATV |
|WorldCall Cable TV |
|Southern Networks |
(Pakistan & Kazakhstan)
|PTCL Smart TV |
|Peo TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel no 77|
Star World is a 24-hour Asian English language cable and satellite television channel owned by STAR TV and Fox Networks Group, two fully owned subsidiaries of 21st Century Fox (pending acquired by The Walt Disney Company). It is the successor to Star Plus, which is now one of its sister channels. The channel mostly syndicates popular shows from the United States, the United Kingdom and sometimes Australia to appeal to English-speaking locals as well as the expatriate population of South Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Southeast Asia.
- 1 History
- 2 Operating channels
- 3 Distribution
- 4 Station IDs
- 5 Programming
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Star World It was first launched on 15 December 1991, and is a 24-hour English-language television channel showcasing international content from the United States, United Kingdom and Australia with Zee TV being the Hindi satellite television channel. Its India counterpart was Zee Telefilm and India was Zee TV. After STAR TV ended its partnership with Zee Telefilm, STAR Plus started telecasting the 1991 British comedy television programme series Mr. Bean (from ITV) with English dubbing and Chinese subtitles while STAR News showed the delayed telecasts of English news programmes.
Almost three years later, in 1991, STAR Plus officially 'split' its beam, in effect, providing two separate services for different regional audiences within the STAR TV Network footprint. This enables the channel to provide appropriate programming and viewing time for viewers from different regions in Asia.
Star World (31 March 1996-1 October 2017)
Star Plus stopped transmissions on 31 March 1996 at midnight. At the same time, STAR TV was rebranded as a 24-hour Hindi general entertainment satellite television channel, and was split into two satellite television stations:
- STAR Plus, a Hindi general entertainment television channel
- STAR World, an English general entertainment television channel
In 1997, STAR Plus' northern beam 24-hour English-language service was renamed STAR World to differentiate the channel from STAR Plus' southern service which carries a 50/50 mix of Indian-produced programming alongside international shows. STAR World is currently available in Taiwan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
Star World is the highest rated female-oriented channel in the Philippines. Some of the shows originate from the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.
On 1 October 2017, Star World was rebranded to Fox Life. The Good Fight was the last program to air before re-brand (Bolt of Talent in Philippine feed). Star World will continue to broadcast in the Middle East, China, Taiwan, India and South Asia.
Although the channel shows the same programming, they mostly differ when it comes to showtimes.
- Star World Asia - broadcast times HKT/SIN and WIB/BKK; simulcast with the Middle East feed at 24:00 to 06:00 (HK/SIN)
- Star World India - broadcast times IND; this has different content from the other feeds; this is the only feed managed by Star India (not by Fox Networks Group)
- Star World HD Middle East & North Africa - broadcast times KSA, UAE; including Channel [V] programs
- Star World Philippines - broadcast times PH; selected programs are not the same as Asia feed including local commercials and few of the local programs; a subsidiary of Fox Networks Group Philippines
- Star World Taiwan - broadcast times NST; selected programs are not same as the Asia feed, including local commercials
- Star World Vietnam - broadcast times VN; selected programs are not same as the Asia feed, including local commercials
- Star World HD Asia - same as the Asia feed except for the logo and commercial feed; available in selected territories only
- Star World HD India - same as the India feed except for the logo and commercial feed; launched on 15 April 2011; only available in India and Nepal
- Star World HD Philippines - same as the Philippines feed except for the logo and commercial feed; launched on 1 March 2012; a subsidiary of Fox Networks Group Philippines
- Star World HD Vietnam - same as the Vietnam feed except for the logo and commercial feed
- Star World Premiere HD - a premium channel launched on 26 September 2013 in India offering the latest seasons of the biggest shows in American television
Star World is available on local cable and Dish TV.
Star World is carried by most nationwide cable operators.
Star World is exclusively available on now TV, starting 26 January 2005.
Star World is available on Macau Cable TV.
Star World is available in Malaysia on Astro.
Middle East and North Africa
Star World is shown on OSN Network and displays in HD.
Papua New Guinea
Star World is available in Hitron Limited.
Star World is available on all cable networks, dth operators and IPTV providers in Nepal.
Star World is available throughout the South Pacific through Sky Pacific.
Star World is available on the pay TV platforms Dialog TV, LBN Cable TV, and PEO TV.
STAR World is currently available on most local cable. STAR World HD Asia is available in DishHD.
STAR World is available on all major pay-TV operators: VTVcab (HD), SCTV (SD & HD), K+ (SD & HD), HTVC (HD), MyTV (HD), FPT Television (SD & HD), and MobiTV (SD & HD)
- From 1995 to 1998, as STAR Plus International and later STAR World Asia, the British-made channel identification for the channel with the voice-over says: "This is the STAR TV Network, and you're watching STAR Plus."
- From 1998 to 30 June 2001, as STAR World Asia, the box-type logo is at the left and the words "STAR" and "WORLD" into "STAR WORLD" are in maroon colour. The hourly channel identification by the male voice-over says: "This is the STAR TV Network, across Asia and the Middle East, you're watching STAR World."
- From 1 July 2001 to 30 April 2005, the station identification said: "This is STAR, and you're with STAR World... STAR World."
- When the channel was re-launched for the third time in May 2005, the song that was played on their SIDs was "Let's Get It Started" by The Black Eyed Peas.
- On 11 December 2006, the song was changed to "Come Rain Come Shine" by Tata Young.
- On 15 June 2007, the song was changed to "Love Today" by Mika.
- On 16 January 2008, the channel was re-launched with its new look. The song was changed to "Chase the Sun" by Planet Funk.
- On October 2008, the STAR World Middle East feed was first to re-launch with its new look including the logo and station ID. However, on 3 November 2008, India, Southeast Asia and the Philippines feeds received the new logo and station ID which the Middle East feed was already using.
- Each station ID has four different feeds like Asia, India, Middle East and the Philippines.
- On 11 November 2010 the channel again on its new look with the Diamond Star (with the trademark swoosh in magenta) under the channel name, the graphics including the website, simultaneously launched both South East Asia (both SD and HD feeds) and the Philippine channel feeds receptively. The Middle East channel officially launched on 1 December 2010. Star World India still uses its older logo as of January 2015.
- Some Channel V International (mostly airs V Tunes in different music genre) music program blocks previously aired in STAR World Philippines channel feed (except in Middle East which is currently on-air) have now been removed and all V Tunes music blocks have been moved to Channel V Philippines, while V Special is the only Channel V music block which remains on-air (renamed as Star World Music Specials), during special times only.
- On August 2, 2013, Star World was once again given a new look. In the Philippines, the logo was adopted in November 2013.
- "STAR World: Feature Channel". Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "Turn on as Star World rebrands to FOX life - InqPOP!". InqPOP!. 2 October 2017.
- "STAR WORLD SPORTS A NEW LOOK AND LAUNCHES HOT NEW DRAMAS". Archived from the original on 3 October 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2008.
- STAR World Asia Station ID
- STAR World India Station ID
- STAR World Middle East Station ID
- STAR World Philippines Station ID
- STAR World Philippines Station ID with Logo