STAR World logo used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Southeast Asia
|Launched||15 December 1991 (as Star Plus)
31 March 1996 (as STAR World)
|Owned by||STAR TV
Fox International Channels
|Picture format||576i (16:9/4:3) (SDTV)
|Slogan||It's Trending. I Like It!|
|Formerly called||Star Plus
(15 December 1991 – 31 March 1996)
|Channel 711 (SD)
Channel 722 (HD)
|Dream Satellite TV
|Cignal Digital TV
|Channel 64 (SD)
Channel 116 (HD)
|Channel 457 (SD)
Channel 39 (HD)
|Channel 201 (SD)
Channel 202 (HD)
|Reliance Digital TV
|Airtel digital TV
|Channel 148 (SD)
Channel 149 (HD)
|Channel 6254 (HD)|
|Channel 16 (HD)|
|Channel 179 (SD)
Channel 180 (HD)
|Channel 36 (HD)|
|Channel 61 (SD)
Channel 40 (HD)
|Channel 387 (SD)
Channel 425 (HD)
|OSN (Middle East
& North Africa)
|Channel 210 (HD)|
|Cable Star Iloilo
|Channel 28 (SD)
Channel 128 (HD)
|Channel 48 (SD)
Channel 172 (HD)
|Parasat Cable TV
|Channel 501 (SD/HD)|
Channel 327 (HD)
|Macau Cable TV
|Channel 50 (SD)
Channel 377 (HD)
|Channel 520 (SD)
Channel 810 (HD)
|WorldCall Cable TV
|Vietnam Cable TV
|Saigontourist Cable TV
|PTCL Smart TV
|Channel 301 (HD)|
|Channel 306 (HD)|
|Peo TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel no 77|
|M2V Mobile TV
STAR World (stylized as StarWorld) is a 24-hour Asian English language cable and satellite television channel owned by STAR TV and Fox International Channels, two fully owned subsidiaries of 21st Century Fox. It is the successor to Star Plus, which is now one of its sister channels. The channel mostly syndicates popular shows from the United States, the United Kingdom and sometimes Australia to appeal to the English-speaking local as well as expatriate population of South Asia, the Middle East, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Southeast Asia.
- 1 History
- 2 Operating channels
- 3 Distribution
- 4 Station IDs
- 5 Programming
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
STAR Plus (15 December 1991 – 31 March 1996)
STAR World was earlier named Star Plus. It was first launched on 15 December 1991, and is a 24-hour English-language television channel showcasing international content from the United States, United Kingdom and Australia with Zee TV being the Hindi satellite television channel and its India counterpart was Zee Telefilm and India was Zee TV. But after STAR TV ended its partnership with Zee Telefilm, STAR Plus started telecasting the 1991 British comedy television programme series Mr. Bean (from ITV) with English dubbing and Chinese subtitles while STAR News showed the delayed telecasts of English news programmes.
STAR World (31 March 1996-now)
STAR Plus stopped transmissions on 31 March 1996 at midnight. At the same time, STAR TV rebranded as a 24-hour Hindi general entertainment satellite television channel, and it was split into 2-satellite television stations such:
- STAR Plus is a Hindi general entertainment television channel.
- STAR World is an English general entertainment television channel.
STAR World unveiled its new logo, a diamond star with the trademark swoosh in magenta and the name of the channel in a new font is set to be adopted universally on 1 January 2011 at 00:00 HKT/1600 UTC.
STAR World is the highest rated female-oriented channel in the Philippines. Some of the shows originate from the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.
- Although the channel shows the same programming, they mostly differ when it comes to showtimes.
- STAR World Asia - (Broadcast times - HKT/SIN and WIB/BKK) simulcast with the Middle-east feed at 24:00 to 06:00 (HK/SIN)
- STAR World India - (Broadcast times - IND) This has different content from the other feeds. This is the only feed managed by STAR TV (not by Fox International Channels).
- STAR World Middle-East - (Broadcast times - KSA, UAE) - including Channel [V] programs.
- STAR World Philippines - selected programs are not same as Asia feed including local commercials and few of the local programs a subsidiary of Fox International Channels Philippines.
- STAR World Taiwan - (Broadcast times - NST) selected programs are not same as Asia feed including local commercials.
- STAR World Vietnam - Same with Asia feed except for commercial feed.
- STAR World HD Asia - Same with Asia feed except for the logo and commercial feed. * Available in selected territories only.
- STAR World HD India - Same with India feed except for the logo and commercial feed it was launched on 15 April 2011. Only available in India and Sri Lanka.
- STAR World HD Philippines - Same with Philippines feed except for the logo and commercial feed it was launched on 1 March 2012 a subsidiary of Fox International Channels Philippines
- STAR World Premiere HD - A premium channel launched on 26 September 2013 in India offering the latest seasons of the biggest shows in American television.
- STAR World France - European feed inluding local commercials and all of the international programs a subsidiary of Fox and owned by AntenneFox.
- STAR World is available on local cable and Dish TV.
- STAR World is carried by most of nationwide cable operators.
- STAR World is exclusively available on now TV, starting 26 January 2005.
- STAR World is available in India on Dish TV, Airtel digital TV, Tata Sky and other major satellite television providers.
- STAR World is also available on Hathway, You Scod18 and other Indian cable systems.
- STAR World is available on Aora TV, First Media, IndosatM2, Groovia TV, Indovision, Top TV, OkeVision, Orange TV Satelit, M2V Mobile TV, TelkomVision, Yes TV and Astro Nusantara (Ceased operations).
- STAR World is available on Macau Cable TV.
- STAR World is available in Malaysia on Astro.
- STAR World is available on Sun TV Networks (MMDS Systems).
- STAR World is available on PTCL Smart TV IPTV.
- STAR World is available on Local cable.
Papua New Guinea
- STAR World is available in Hitron Limited.
- STAR World is available only in SkyCable, G Sat, Dream Satellite TV, Destiny Cable, Cablelink and Cignal Digital TV in Metro Manila. (Philippine feed only).
- STAR World is exclusively available on RTS.
- Star World is available throughout the South Pacific through Sky Pacific.
STAR World is available on the following pay TV platforms in Sri Lanka.
- Dialog TV
- LBN Cable TV
- PEO TV
- STAR World is currently available on most local cable.
- STAR World HD Asia is available in DishHD.
- STAR World is available in Ho Chi Minh City (through HTVC & SCTV), Ha Noi (through VTVCab), Can Tho (through TayDo Cable).
- From 1995 to 1998, as STAR Plus International and later STAR World Asia, the British-made channel identification for the channel with the voice-over says: "This is the STAR TV Network, and you're watching STAR Plus."
- From 1998 to 30 June 2001, as STAR World Asia, the box-type logo at the left and the words "STAR" and "WORLD" into "STAR WORLD" in maroon colour. The hourly channel identification by the male voice-over says: "This is the STAR TV Network, across Asia and the Middle East, you're watching STAR World."
- From 1 July 2001 to 30 April 2005, the 2001-2005 station identification says: "This is STAR, and you're with STAR World...STAR World."
- When the channel was re-launched for the 3rd time in May 2005, the song that was played on their SIDs was "Let's Get It Started" by The Black Eyed Peas.
- On 11 December 2006, the song has been changed to "Come Rain Come Shine" by Tata Young.
- On 15 June 2007, the song has been changed to "Love Today" by Mika.
- On 16 January 2008, the channel was re-launched with its new look. The song has changed to "Chase the Sun" by Planet Funk.
- On October 2008, STAR World Middle East feed was first to re-launched with its new look including the logo and station ID. However on 3 November 2008, India, Southeast Asia and the Philippines feeds received the new logo and station ID which the Middle East feed was already using.
- Each Station ID has 4 different feeds like Asia, India, Middle East and the Philippines.
- On 11 November 2010 the channel again on its new look with the Diamond Star (with the trademark swoosh in magenta) under the channel name, the graphics including the website, simultaneously launched both South East Asia (both SD and HD feeds) and The Philippine channel feeds receptively, as well as its new female voice over announcer. The Middle East channel officially launched last 1 December 2010. Star World India still uses the older Star World Logo as of January 2015.
- Some Channel V International (mostly airs V Tunes in different music genre) music program block previously air in STAR World Philippines channel feed (except in Middle East which is currently on-air) is now removed and all V Tunes music block are now moved to Channel V Philippines while V Special are the only Channel V music block remains on-air, during special time only.
- How I Met Your Mother
- Cougar Town
- Raising Hope
- Melissa & Joey
- New Girl
- Trophy Wife
- Happy Endings
- A to Z
- Grey's Anatomy
- Once Upon a Time
- Witches of East End
- Devious Maids
- Switched At Birth
- Royal Pains
- American Idol
- MasterChef US
- MasterChef Junior
- America's Next Top Model
- Asia's Next Top Model
- Styled to Rock
- Million Dollar Listing LA
- DC Cupcakes
- Got To Dance UK
- Dancing with the Stars US
- Candidly Nicole
- Amsale Girls
- Golden Globe Award
- People's Choice Award
- Critic's Choice Movie Awards
- Grammy Award
- American Music Award (until 2013, now broadcast on RTL CBS Entertainment since 2014)
- Brit awards
- Asian Television Awards
- Miss USA
- Miss Universe
- Miss World
- Miss Earth
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- STAR World: Feature Channel retrieved via www.foxinternationalchannels.com 11-13-2010
- STAR WORLD SPORTS A NEW LOOK AND LAUNCHES HOT NEW DRAMAS[dead link] 11-03-2008 via www.startv.com
- STAR World Asia Station ID
- STAR World India Station ID
- STAR World Middle East Station ID
- STAR World Philippines Station ID
- STAR World Philippines Station ID with Logo
- Official Site
- STAR World India
- STAR World Taiwan
- STAR World ME Website
- STAR World Premiere HD