Star for a Night (Philippines)
|Star for a Night|
|Created by||Viva Entertainment|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Running time||1 hour|
|Original channel||Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation|
|Picture format||480i SDTV|
|Original release||2002 – 2003|
|Followed by||Search for a Star (GMA)|
Star for a Night was a Philippine singing contest produced by Viva Entertainment and broadcast by IBC in 2002. The host was Regine Velasquez. The show venue was in a studio of GMA Network Center. The grand finals took place in Ultra in Pasig City.
It is best remembered for the performances of Sarah Geronimo, who at the age of fourteen won the competition, including a ₱1 million cash prize and a managerial contract with Vicente Del Rosario, owner of Viva Artists Agency.
Singer and actress Athena Tibi was also discovered on the show and signed to Viva Artists Agency, where she debuted as part of pop group 3Yo, before moving in to musicals and later moving to Japan.
Sarah Geronimo was given the title of Pop Star Princess as a result of the show. Her mother said, "Her cash prize in Star For a Night was a big help, This school year, we don't need to borrow money from other people because of my children's tuition fees."
Other notable contestants including Mark Bautista who also became a successful recording artist and actor, Florie May Lucido or Reema Lucida became a contender in Born Diva, Maureen Marcelo who won the Philippine Idol, Mae Flores who made it as one of the top 12 contenders in Pinoy Idol who finished in 11th place, Angeline Quinto, the winner of Star Power: The Search for the Next Female Pop Superstar and Klarisse de Guzman, runner-up of the first season of The Voice of the Philippines, with Sarah Geronimo as her coach. This is their first collaboration after more than a decade.
The success of the show led to a second season, called Search for a Star.
- Sarah Geronimo - Winner
- Mark Bautista
- Maureen Marcelo
- Florie May Lucido
- Jason Velasquez
- Angeline Quinto
- Mailyn Yu
- Angeli Mae Flores
- Roxanne Castro
- Kristela Musica Cristobal
- Carlo San Jose
- "Star for A Night". Viva Entertainment. 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "3Yo". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Back-to-School, Back-to-'High School Musical'". Click The City. 2007-06-15. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Annie S. Alejo (2012-03-07). "Building on the future of Philippine theater". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "ATHENA". SomethingDrastic. Retrieved 2012-10-28.
- Red, Isah V. (2007-08-22). "Sarah Geronimo on a path to superstardom". manilastandardtoday.com. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "The Newest Pop Star". Manila Bulletin. 2003-07-09. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Star for a Night". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
|This Philippine television program-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|