Panorama of Stara Pazova town
Location of the municipality of Stara Pazova within Serbia
|• Mayor||Đorđe Radinović (SNS)|
|• Town||64.73 km2 (24.99 sq mi)|
|• Municipality||344.49 km2 (133.01 sq mi)|
|Elevation||82 m (269 ft)|
|• Town density||290/km2 (740/sq mi)|
|• Municipality density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Stara Pazova (Serbian Cyrillic: Стара Пазова, pronounced [stâːraː pâzɔv̞a]) is a town and municipality located in the Srem District of the autonomous province of Vojvodina, Serbia. The town has a population of 18,602, while Stara Pazova municipality has 65,792 inhabitants.
During the Ottoman administration (16th-18th century), Pazova was populated by ethnic Serbs and was part of the Ottoman Sanjak of Syrmia. In 1718, the town became part of the Habsburg Monarchy. In the 18th century (after 1760) Lutheran Slovaks settled in Pazova, and in 1791 Germans arrived here as well. Germans lived in separate settlement known as Nova Pazova ("New Pazova"), thus the old settlement was named Stara Pazova ("Old Pazova"). Until the second half of the 20th century, Slovaks were largest ethnic group in the town of Stara Pazova, while largest ethnic group in the surrounding municipality were Serbs.
For most part of the Habsburg rule, Stara Pazova was part of the Habsburg Military Frontier (abolished in 1882), while in 1848-1849 was part of Serbian Vojvodina. In the late 19th and early 20th century, Stara Pazova was a district center in the Syrmia County (part of the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia, Kingdom of Hungary and Austria-Hungary). According to the 1910 census, population of the Stara Pazova municipality numbered 46,430 inhabitants, of whom 24,262 spoke Serbian, 9,348 German, 5,779 Slovak, and 5,670 Croatian. [permanent dead link] The town itself had Slovak majority in 1910.
After 1918, the town was part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and subsequent South Slavic states. According to the 1971 census, 56% of population of the town of Stara Pazova were Slovaks. Today, the largest ethnic group in both town and municipality, are Serbs.
Stara Pazova municipality includes the town of Stara Pazova and the following settlements:
According to the 2011 census results, the municipality of Stara Pazova has a population of 65,792 inhabitants.
All settlements in the municipality have an ethnic Serb majority. The ethnic composition of the municipality:
The following table gives a preview of total number of employed people per their core activity (as of 2017):
|Agriculture, forestry and fishing||285|
|Distribution of power, gas and water||91|
|Distribution of water and water waste management||269|
|Wholesale and retail, repair||4,901|
|Traffic, storage and communication||2,165|
|Hotels and restaurants||580|
|Media and telecommunications||145|
|Finance and insurance||141|
|Property stock and charter||61|
|Professional, scientific, innovative and technical activities||493|
|Administrative and other services||585|
|Administration and social assurance||550|
|Healthcare and social work||826|
|Art, leisure and recreation||127|
Twin towns — Sister cities
Stara Pazova is twinned with:
- "Municipalities of Serbia, 2006". Statistical Office of Serbia. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "2011 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Serbia: Comparative Overview of the Number of Population in 1948, 1953, 1961, 1971, 1981, 1991, 2002 and 2011, Data by settlements" (PDF). Statistical Office of Republic Of Serbia, Belgrade. 2014. ISBN 978-86-6161-109-4. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "2011 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Serbia" (PDF). stat.gov.rs. Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- "ETHNICITY Data by municipalities and cities" (PDF). stat.gov.rs. Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "ОПШТИНЕ И РЕГИОНИ У РЕПУБЛИЦИ СРБИЈИ, 2018" (PDF). stat.gov.rs (in Serbian). Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Slobodan Ćurčić, Broj stanovnika Vojvodine, Novi Sad, 1996.
- Dr. Dušan J. Popović, Srbi u Vojvodini, knjiga 1, Novi Sad, 1990.
- Borislav Jankulov, Pregled kolonizacije Vojvodine u XVIII i XIX veku, Novi Sad - Pančevo, 2003.
- Dr. Branislav Bukurov, Bačka, Banat i Srem, Novi Sad, 1978.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stara Pazova.|