|Traded as||AktieTorget: STAR|
|Industry||Computer and video games|
|Founded||1998 (as O3 Games)
2002 (as Starbreeze Studios)
|Key people||Bo Andersson Klint (CEO)|
The company was founded in 1998, under the name O3 Games. In 2000, O3 Games merged with the smaller company Starbreeze Studios which was then based in Härnösand, Sweden. In November 2002, the parent company was renamed Starbreeze AB, of which Starbreeze Studios AB is a wholly owned subsidiary. Starbreeze is listed on the Swedish stock market list Aktietorget since 2000 where the company stock is still publicly traded. As of 2012, Starbreeze employs around 93 people.
Starbreeze Studios´ founders include people who were formerly members of the PC demoscene group Triton; Magnus Högdahl worked as CTO and was credited as Lead Engine Programmer. He ended his employment in July 2009. Along with Fredrik Ljungdahl, Jens Matthies, Jim Kjellin, Kjell Emanuelsson, Michael Wynne and Jerk Gustafsson, went on to found MachineGames,which was later acquired by ZeniMax Media.
The company was developing two games, but one of them has been cancelled. The first, codenamed Project RedLime, is a reboot of the Syndicate series developed by Bullfrog Productions and published by Electronic Arts. The second game based on Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series, was also going to be published by EA, but the project was shelved.
On Apr 19, 2012 Starbreeze Studios announced it plans to acquire Payday: The Heist studio Overkill Software, pending final approval from shareholders. The acquisition was completed in June, with a purchase price that amounts to 200 million newly issued shares in Starbreeze.
On June 21, 2012 Starbreeze Studios announced that the acquisition of Overkill Software was finalized.
as O3 Games
- 2000 – The Outforce (Microsoft Windows)
as Starbreeze Studios
- 2002 – Enclave (Microsoft Windows, Xbox)
- 2003 – Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade (Nintendo GameCube, Microsoft Windows, Xbox, PlayStation 2) (released only in Europe)
- 2004 – The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Xbox, Microsoft Windows)
- 2007 – The Darkness (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
- 2009 – The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
- 2012 – Syndicate (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
- 2013 – Payday 2 (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
- 2013 – Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
- EA cancels Starbreeze title
- "GameSpy: Riddick Developer Working on a New Syndicate". Uk.gamespy.com. Retrieved 2009-03-31.
- GameSpot News: Bourne license surfaces at EA
- Ben Fritz (March 23, 2010). "Future of Bourne video games uncertain as EA cancels title (updated)". Los Angeles Times.
- Rose, Mike. "Starbreeze set to acquire Payday: The Heist developer". Gamasutra.
- Arthur Gies (September 10, 2011). "Syndicate details leak online via Origin". Joystiq. Retrieved September 11, 2011.