for the Parliament of Kenya
|Area||20 km2 (7.7 sq mi)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Nairobi Central|
Starehe Constituency is an electoral constituency in Kenya. It is one of seventeen constituencies in Nairobi City County. It consists of central and central to north areas of Nairobi. The constituency was established for the 1966 elections, with an area of 20 km2 (7.7 sq mi). It borders Westlands Constituency to the north; Mathare Constituency to the northeast; Kamukunji and Makadara constituencies to the east; Embakasi South Constituency to the south; Dagoretti North, Kibra and Lang'ata constituencies to the west.
Members of Parliament
|1966||Clement Lubembe||KANU||One-party system|
|1969||Charles Rubia||KANU||One-party system|
|1974||Charles Rubia||KANU||One-party system|
|1979||Charles Rubia||KANU||One-party system|
|1983||Charles Rubia||KANU||One-party system.|
|1988||Kiruhi Kimondo||KANU||One-party system. Kimondo was dismissed by KANU in 1989.|
|1989||Gerishon Kirima||KANU||By-elections. One-party system.|
|1992||Kiruhi Kimondo||FORD-Asili||Kimondo defected to KANU in 1989 resulting in by-elections.|
|1997||Maina Kamanda||Democratic Party|
|2007||Margaret Wanjiru||ODM||Vote recount held in 2010 indicated that the poll was won by Maina Kamanda (PNU). As a result, a by-election was ordered to take place.Wanjiru won in the by-election.|
Following the 2013 election, Starehe six electoral wards are Nairobi Central, Ngara, Pangani, Landimawe, South B and Ziwani/ Kariokor.
The Sub-county partly shares the same boundaries with Starehe Constituency. The Sub-county is headed by the sub-county administrator, appointed by a County Public Service Board.
- Center for Multiparty Democracy: Politics and Paliamenterians in Kenya 1944-2007
- Daily Nation, January 1, 2001: Notable people who departed
- Daily Nation, September 20, 2010: Seats fell vacant after election petitions
- Daily Nation, September 20, 2010: PNU trounced in Juja as ODM wins Starehe
- IEBC Portal, August 2017 : Archived 2017-08-10 at the Wayback Machine
- "County Governments Act No. 17 of 2012" (PDF). Law Society of Kenya. p. 39. Retrieved 4 November 2022.
- Starehe Constituency[permanent dead link]
- Map of the constituency[permanent dead link]
- Uchaguzikenya.com - Constituency profile