Starlight (The Supermen Lovers song)
|Single by The Supermen Lovers featuring Mani Hoffman|
|from the album The Player|
|Released||3 September 2001|
|Format||CD single, CD maxi, 7" vinyl, 12" maxi|
|Genre||French house, nu-disco|
6:01 (album version)|
3:50 (radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Guillaume Atlan, Mani Hoffman|
|The Supermen Lovers featuring Mani Hoffman singles chronology|
"Starlight" is a song by French house artist The Supermen Lovers (aka Guillaume Atlan), featuring Mani Hoffman. It was the first single from his debut album The Player and was released in the first quarter of 2001 (third quarter in the UK). It became a hit in Norway, New Zealand, and Belgium (Wallonia) where it reached the top ten, and it peaked at number 2 in France and United Kingdom. It also reached number one on the Irish dance chart.
Vogue maxi edition
Independiente maxi edition
BMG maxi edition
Time Records maxi edition
Lafessé Records maxi edition
BMG remixes maxi edition
BMG maxi edition
Independiente maxi edition
The music video starts off floating down to a house where a young "potato" man is making up the song "Starlight" in his bedroom, after finishing the song he goes to his parents to tell them about it, however they don't notice him as on the television they're watching a 'Mexican Skeleton' singing. The young man is in awe of how his parents, sitting on the couch like "couch potatoes", are more interested in the act on the television than their own son. Disappointed, he returns to his bedroom when he begins hearing music coming from a mouse hole. A mouse inside is doing his own work as the young man sees what's going on. Initially, they both begin to co-operate with each other and produce 'Starlight' together.
Then they try to get a producer to sign them on and call up several producers, but after several failed attempts, the mouse mainly tricks a producer by using the audio from the Mexican Skeleton's song to get the contract. They then run away from their home and begin to head for the big city for a chance of stardom. Once getting on TV, the popularity of their act just goes down in a fast decline as all viewers watching changed back to the Mexican Skeleton. The manager gets furious and fires the duo.
Meanwhile, a group of aliens pick up the broadcast and enjoy listening to the duo's music. So the alien manager calls them up and asks them if they would like to go to their planet. The duo then jump for joy that someone out there loves their song. Near the end of the video the spaceship then floats to the house, but in a cruel twist of fate, the alien ship is not big enough for both of them leaving the young man really upset as his friend and partner gets taken due to the fact he was the smaller of the two. The spaceship then flies away with the mouse while the man is left alone once more.
At the end we see the mouse in his luxury apartment having a bubble bath.
- Guillaume Atlan – composer and producer
- Guillaume Atlan and Mani Hoffman – lyrics
- Mani Hoffman – vocals
- Contains a sample from "East Coast - The Rock" composed by Charlie Wallert
- Hervé – mastering, at Translab
- Emmanuel Desmadril and Hervé Bordes – mixing
- Nili Ohayon (Onili) – additional vocals
- Video director : David & Laurent Nicolas
- Adrien de Maublanc – Cover artwork
- Universal Music Publishing – publisher
Charts and sales
- List of number-one dance singles of 2001 (Australia)
- List of number-one club tracks of 2001 (Australia)
- List of number-one dance singles (Ireland)
- "Mango - La Terra Degli Aquiloni". AllMusic. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman's 'Starlight' - Discover the Sample Source". WhoSampled. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Lescharts.com – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Starlight". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dance Chart Track: Week 38". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Italiancharts.com – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 33, 2001" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight". VG-lista.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman – Starlight". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2001". ARIA Charts. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Rapports annuels 2001". ultratop.be. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Classement Singles - année 2001" (in French). SNEP. Archived from the original on 4 April 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "End Of Year Charts 2001". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "The Official UK Singles Chart 2001" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Les disques d'or" (in French). SNEP. Archived from the original on 23 February 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "New Zealand single certifications – The Supermen Lovers – Starlight". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "British single certifications – Supermen Lovers – Starlight". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 21 May 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Starlight in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.