Starpoint Gemini 2
|Starpoint Gemini 2|
|Developer(s)||Little Green Men Games|
|Engine||LGM Games' proprietary Whale2 Engine|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Xbox One|
|Release||26 September 2014 |
|Genre(s)||Space trading and combat simulator, Role playing video game|
Starpoint Gemini 2 (abbreviated to SPG2 or SG2) is a space trading and combat simulator developed by the Croatian-based Little Green Men Games (LGM Games) development studio. It is a direct sequel to Starpoint Gemini, which was released in 2010.
Starpoint Gemini 2 is a full 3D space sim/RPG. The in-game world is the Gemini system, which consists of various cohesive star systems. Players captain one of around seventy ships, controlling a single vessel rather than a fleet, although wingmen as well as ship’s officers will be available for hiring. The game features pre-scripted story missions, but also randomly generated “Freelance missions” that rely on player’s actions and allegiances.
At the beginning of 2014, LGM Games became an official Oculus Rift developer and have begun implementing support for the VR device. Their stated plan is to "make all the necessary modifications in rendering and resolution in order to allow players to experience all Oculus Rift is capable of offering".
The player can choose to play campaign or freeroam mode. The game features an extensive space simulation gameplay where the player is put in control of capital ships instead of more classic approach of controlling fighter based vehicles.
The player has the freedom to do as he likes so professions in the game vary from space pirate, trader, privateer, asteroid miner, gas miner, scientist, explorer, salvager to lawkeeper. The player is open to explore those professions as he likes but there is a set class that is picked upon creating your character. The 3 classes are: Commander, Gunner and Engineer. Commander being specialized in augmenting your fleet, gunner in offensive capabilities and Engineer being a mix in between while also featuring support skills.
Players can utilize control of their weapon batteries and turret based weapon system. Depending on the ship preset conditions he can equip a fixed amount of weapon types to his ship which also have a preset locations on the ship and turret firing angles. Furthermore the player can increase or decrease the amount of turrets placed to his ship. Weapon system features light weapons(beams/railguns/plasma) and heavy weapons(missiles/shockwave). The shield system also follows more unconventional approach by splitting them in 4 parts instead of a usual single system. Player can use 4 skills which differ depending on the picked class and he can use various equipment which augments combat abilities. All this allows for a more tactical and faster paced gameplay.
In the campaign mode, the player starts out as Adrian Faulkner, a 22-year-old son of the legendary Gemini League hero, Gabriel Faulkner, known best for his endeavors in the last Gemini war. The player struggles to unveil the mysteries of his father's death and his efforts to save the Gemini from foreign invasions. Along with the main story quest line, the player is also able to pause his main story progression in order to enjoy features that the freeroam mode provides from the start.
The player is thrown into a vast universe with his starting ship to explore and play as he likes. There are no obligations to complete any quests, and it is essentially a sandbox experience where players can choose to play as they like.
- December 2011: First announcement
- January 2013: Little Green Men Games secures publishing of Starpoint Gemini 2 with Iceberg Interactive
- September 2013: Alpha released on Steam Early Access.
- March 2014: Beta released on Steam.
- September 2014: Final Release Candidate released on Steam.
- February 2015: DLC "Secrets of Aethera" released on Steam.
- June 2015: DLC "Origins" Free port of Starpoint Gemini story into the new engine, released on Steam. 
- June 2015: "Starpoint Gemini: Warlords" spinoff from Starpoint Gemini 2 announced on official LGM website
- September 2015: DLC "Titans" announced on official LGM website
Nick Horth from Strategy Informer praises the game for its pirate system: "Want to be a despicable pirate, preying on weak transport ships and poorly defended mining stations? That's fine, knock yourself out." 
- 2014 - Best PC games of 2014 - Exploration and survival 
- 2014 - Best game in the region 
- 2014 - Top 100 indie of the year 
- "SPACE FANS REJOICE: STARPOINT GEMINI 2 LANDS ON STEAM TODAY!". 26 September 2014.
- Smith, Adam (9 September 2013). "Ship Of The Iceberg: Starpoint Gemini 2". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Pitcher, Jenna (9 September 2013). "Starpoint Gemini 2 hits Steam Early Access". Polygon. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Dean (9 January 2014). "Starpoint Gemini 2 support for the Oculus Rift". nextpowerup. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Starpoint Gemini II Announced". GameBanshee. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Griffioen, Mayke (15 January 2013). "The gateway to Gemini will open once again in Starpoint Gemini 2!" (Press release). Haarlem, Netherlands.
- "Through the wormhole with Starpoint Gemini 2" (Press release). Haarlem, Netherlands. 6 September 2013.
- "Starpoint Gemini enters Beta". 6 March 2014.
- "Starpoint Gemini 2 has left Early Access". 27 September 2014.
- "Starpoint Gemini 2: Secrets of Aethera".
- "Starpoint Gemini 2: Origins".
- "Starpoint Gemini II: Warlords DLC Announced". LGM. 24 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Starpoint Gemini II: Titans DLC Announced". LGM. 26 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Starpoint Gemini 2 for PC". GameRankings.
- "Starpoint Gemini 2 for PC". Metacritic.
- DI LORENZO BALDO (10 October 2014). "Starpoint Gemini 2 review". IGN Italia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Patrick Carlson (9 October 2014). "Starpoint Gemini 2 - review". PCGamer. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- Nick Horth (8 October 2014). "Starpoint Gemini 2 review". StrategyInformer. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Nicholas Plouffe (7 October 2014). "Review: Starpoint Gemini 2 (PC) Review – Space Pirates… 'Nuff Said". Canadian Online Gamers. Retrieved 30 September 2016.