Gauteng, South Africa
Hard Rock (recently)
|Years active||2000 – Present|
The Spindle Sect
|Past members||Dale Anderson
Aidan Starr Coetzee
Starseed is a melodic hard rock band originally from Johannesburg, South Africa, now based in London, United Kingdom formed in 2000. Starseed's latest release "Peace Machine" has seen a significant rise in the band's UK popularity with the album receiving rave reviews and acclaim from the UK music industry from Kerrang Magazine to XFM.
Starseed also supported Senser on their O2 Academy tour in June 2010.
2011 has seen the band share the stage with Senser once again on a national tour, support Ill Nino at Kick Out The Jams Festival 2011 and have been confirmed to play the Pepsi Max stage on Sunday 12 June at Download Festival 2011.
The band will be releasing a second single from Peace Machine, "See Through Your Lies" on 6 June 2011 via digital release, followed by national and European tour dates.
Since 2009 drummer, "Animal Andy" has worked at the internet rock and metal station, TotalRock, as a stand in DJ.
USA release of Peace Machine
Peace Machine is being released in the United States in Feb 2012. With singles "Shine" and "See Through Your Lies" being released running up to the album release. "Shine" was released on iTunes and all major digital outlets on 6 December: http://itunes.apple.com/album/shine-single/id484272982
On 2 May 2012, the band announced via their Facebook page that they were taken an indefinite break:
"It’s with heavy hearts and our deepest regrets that we announce we will be cancelling all future dates for the foreseeable future and the band will be taking an indefinite break starting immediately. The band has made this decision as we work through personal and family related issues that must come first in our lives. Our sincerest apologies to those of you looking forward to seeing us this weekend and at our other shows throughout the year. We’re gutted we can’t be there with you. We pray you will all understand and support us in what has been an incredibly hard decision to make, but a very necessary one all the same.
We love each and every one of you for your amazing support over the years and hope one day we can do this again for you all.
Much peace, love and respect…
Andy, Russ, Gman, Murray and Pete"
Andrew Spence is currently working with the Rock/Crossover band The Spindle Sect, having recorded drums for their new album Bubonic Tronic released in April 2012.
Murray McChlery fronts London based funk outfit Soul Trigger whose debut EP is due for release early 2012.
- Russell Spence - vocals, guitar
- Gerald Gill - guitar, backing vocals
- Peter Wicker - guitar
- Andrew Spence - drums, backing vocals
- Murray McChlery - bass, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Dale Anderson - bass, backing vocals (2005–2010)
- Aidan Starr Coetzee - bass (2004–2005)
- Justin Hart - bass (2000–2003)
- Shaun Evans - guitar, vocals (2000–2003)
- All The Things They Can't Take Away... (2005)
- Love's War (EP) (2008)
- Peace Machine UK (2009) USA (2012)
- Shine (taken from the album "Peace Machine") - Released 6 December (USA)
- See Through Your Lies - Due for release Jan 2012 (USA)
- See Through Your Lies
- Vocalist-drummer Andy Spence fills us in on "See Through Your Lies"
- Room Thirteen Magazine Interview
- Starseed track "Return" featuring Andrew Spence (drums, vocals)
- Interview with Russell and Andrew Spence of Starseed on 411 Mania - Feb 2012
- Next Mosh interview with Russell and Andrew Spence of Starseed in Feb 2012
- Download Festival Line Up 2011
- Download Festival Line Up 2010
- Official Download Festival Website Artist Profile
- Red Hot Velvet Magazine article on Download Festival and Senser Tour
- Starseed in Kerrang! Magazine Aug 2009
- Music Industry Online (South Africa) Interview with Russell Spence
- Anti-Music Article on USA release of Shine on iTunes