|Single by Dinosaur Jr|
|from the album Where You Been|
|Genre||Alternative rock, indie rock |
|Label||Blanco Y Negro|
|Dinosaur Jr singles chronology|
"Start Choppin" is a song by Dinosaur Jr. written by J Mascis and taken from their fifth album Where You Been. It was released through Blanco Y Negro in Europe and as a promo by Warner Brothers in the US.
It made number 20 on the UK Singles Chart and number 3 on the Modern Rock Tracks. The song was described by the All Music Guide as having a "quick, catchy lead riff," and being "as close to a radio hit as the band ever had."[page needed] CMJ magazine referred J Mascis' as a "guitar god" through his work with this song. Sputnik Music had referred to Mascis' vocals as possibly "off-putting at first, but it really grows with time."  Spin described the song as having a 'sparkly stutter-strum intro, grindy-swirly solo freak-out' and the lyrical content as 'another J Mascis paean to self-denial as a source of pride'. It was backed by the song "Turnip Farm", co-written by Kurt Fedora.
Below is the track list for both sides of the single.
- "Start Choppin" (J. Mascis) – 5:39
- "Turnip Farm" (Mascis, Kurt Fedora) – 5:49
- "Forget It" (Mascis) – 4:04
- Ragget, Ned. "Where You Been". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Back cover". Start Choppin (12" Vinyl). Dinosaur Jr. United Kingdom: Spam as the Bread Music. 1992.
- "Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been (album review )". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Dinosaur Jr* - Start Choppin (UK)". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Dinosaur Jr* - Start Choppin (US release)". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Start Choppin". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Dinosaur Jr. - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Vladimir Bogdanov, Chris Woodstra, Stephen Thomas Erlewine (2001). All Music Guide: The Definitive Guide to Popular Music. Backbeat Books.
- "CMJ New Music Report". 5 January 2004: 33.
- LLC, SPIN Media (1993-06-01). SPIN. SPIN Media LLC.
- "Vinyl sticker". Start Choppin (12" Vinyl). Dinosaur Jr. United Kingdom: Spam as the Bread Music. 1992.
|This 1990s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|