Start the Commotion
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Start the Commotion"|
|Single by The Wiseguys|
|from the album The Antidote|
|The Wiseguys singles chronology|
"Start the Commotion" is a song by electronica/hip-hop duo The Wiseguys from their second album The Antidote. It was released as a single in the UK in 1998, peaking at #47 on the UK Singles Chart. The following year the song peaked at #36 on the American dance charts.
After being used in a Mitsubishi Motors television commercial in the U.S. in 2001, the song gained a second life and significant radio airplay, reaching the top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 and making it the Wiseguys' best known song. It was featured in the 2001 comedy Zoolander, where it was used to promote the film. It was also featured in the films Gun Shy and Kangaroo Jack. It has also officially been remixed by Eric Kupper and DJ Spinna.
The song includes samples of:
- "Set It Off" by Greg Nice (all rap verses)
- "Wild Child" by The Ventures (main beat foundation)
- "It's Only Love" by ZZ Top (drumbeat and chord in opening section, before "Wild Child")
- "Annie Get Your Yo-Yo" by Junior Parker ("Wind it up, baby!")
- UK CD single
- "Start the Commotion" (Radio edit)
- "Fatal Femme" (Ft Sense Live)
- "Start the Commotion" (Full length)
|Chart (1998–2001)||Peak position|
|UK Singles Chart||47|
|U.S. Billboard Dance Music/Club Play Singles||36|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ||31|
- Dangelo, Joe (August 31, 2001). "Commercial Causing a 'Commotion' for Wiseguys Song". MTV. MTV News. Retrieved September 14, 2016.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 282.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 686.
|This hip hop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|