Starting Over (autobiography)
|Author||La Toya Jackson with Jeffré Phillips|
|June 21, 2011
May 29, 2012 (paperback)
|LC Class||ML420.J16 A3 2011|
Starting Over is a 2011 autobiography by American musician and recording artist La Toya Jackson. The book was published by Gallery Books and was released on June 21, 2011. It made The New York Times Best Sellers List for the week ending July 2, 2011.
The title of the book is a reference to how Jackson "started over" after divorcing her abusive manager Jack Gordon. She stated, "I think it's important for everybody to start over in their life when it's not going properly or the way they think it should go or should be going, or if there's problems in their life."  The title is shared with her comeback record, Starting Over, which was released on the same day as the book. According to Jackson, the album's autobiographical songs inspired the book. Jackson told Us Weekly that she decided to write the book when women contacted her after seeing Jackson's 2005 interview on 20/20. "This book was written for people who have endured abuse. Women cannot allow men to rob their self-esteem and self-worth. I want them to know that they can use their voice to make a change."  Jackson began working on the book in February 2008 and completed it in Spring 2011. Even though Jackson was pictured with her brother Michael on the hardcover edition, she stated that "the book is not about Michael. 85 percent of that book is about me starting over and encouraging [women]." "The company wanted me to incorporate Michael and I realized he is a part of my life and he just passed so people are going to think I was selfish if I didn't include him." 
Summary and themes
The latter part of the book describes how her brother Michael Jackson confided in La Toya that he feared being killed for his music and publishing estate. In the book La Toya reveals that she feared for Michael's life in the months leading up to his death.
The hardcover version was released on June 21, 2011. The mass market paperback was released on May 29, 2012.
Jackson made The New York Times Best Seller list for the week ending July 2, 2011. This was her second book to make the list, the first being La Toya: Growing Up in the Jackson Family, which peaked at number 2.
|The New York Times Best Seller list Hardcover Nonfiction||35|
- PRNewswire (July 14, 2011). "La Toya Jackson Memoir 'Starting Over' Hits New York Times Best Sellers List Making Her a Two-Time Best Selling Author". Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Morgan, Piers (June 21, 2011). "La Toya Jackson lived her whole extraordinary life in the spotlight. Now, she's starting over.". Piers Morgan Tonight. CNN. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Drew, Ian (August 1, 2011). "Exclusive: La Toya Jackson: 'I'm Not Crazy'". Us Weekly. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Yandek, Chris (July 3, 2011). "La Toya on her Brother Michael Jackson's Death: Says, 'Follow the money trail…' Talks about her Book, Starting Over". CY Interview.
- Jackson, La Toya; Phillips, Jeffré (2011). Starting Over (1 ed.). Gallery Books. ISBN 1451620586.
- Marikar, Sheila (June 22, 2011). "La Toya Jackson Reveals What Michael Jackson's Kids Saw, Heard in His Final Days". ABC News. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Associated Press (June 24, 2011). "LaToya Jackson Says Michael Feared He'd Be Killed". Access Hollywood. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Jackson, La Toya. "La Toya Jackson: I feared for Michael's life". MSNBC. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "Best Sellers July 17, 2011". The New York Times Book Review. July 17, 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2012.