State Committee for National Security (Kyrgyzstan)
|Kyrgyz: Улуттук коопсуздук боюнча мамлекеттик комитети|
Russian: Государственный комитет национальной безопасности
|Special service overview|
|Formed||November 20, 1993 (original agency)|
April 12, 2007 (current form)
|Jurisdiction||Government of Kyrgyzstan|
|Headquarters||70 Erkindik Street, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan|
|Annual budget||Classified information|
|Special service executive|
The State Committee for National Security (Kyrgyz: Улуттук коопсуздук боюнча мамлекеттик комитети, YKMK, Russian: Государственный комитет национальной безопасности, GKNB) is the national agency responsible for intelligence on counter terrorism and organised crime in Kyrgyzstan. In carrying out this task, it carries out both preventive and investigative measures against organized terrorism and crime. The chairman of the UKMK is a military officer and a member of the Security Council of Kyrgyzstan. It is currently based on 70 Erkindik Street, Bishkek.
The activities of the UKMK include:
- Conducting counterintelligence
- Gathering intelligence (usually against terrorist groups and drug traffickers)
- Securing information
- Surpess the activities of harmful organizations
- Uncovering espionage and corrupt activities
- Extraction and deliver secret information related to organized criminal and terrorist groups
- Carry out the protection of the state border
- Carry out the protection of economic and legal interests in Kyrgyzstan
- Encrypted communication systems for government institutions
The UKMK controls the Alfa anti-terrorist unit, which like all former Soviet countries refers to a top-secret unit special forces unit. The unit helps deliver on the tasks listed above.
The history of the modern Kyrgyz intelligence services dates back to December 1917, when the All-Russian Emergency Commission (VChK) was formed. A year later, on the Pishpek district investigation commission was established. After national delimitation occurred in the early 1920s, Regional State Political Directorate of the Kara-Kyrgyz Autonomous Oblast was created. Later on the Committee for State Security (KGB) of the Kyrgyz SSR was formed, which served as the republican affiliate for the national KGB agency. On 20 November 1991, President Askar Akayev signed a presidential decree establishing the UKMK. Since 2007, the State Committee for National Security has been operating in its current form.
In August 2002, the State Border Guard Service was established from a as part of the UKMK, having been merged with the Main Border Guard Directorate of the Ministry of Defense and the Main Directorate of Border Control of the UKMK that day. This was done to have a more centralised intelligence system in Kyrgyzstan. In the years that followed, the UKMK would have little influence on the border guard service until it was finally removed from the National Security Committee on 4 September 2012, it was and was re-established as an independent department in the government.
Since its establishment, the UKMK has sported many commemorative awards such as the following:
- Breastplate "70 years of the Chief Directorate of the National Security Committee of the Kyrgyz Republic in the city of Bishkek"
- Breastplate "Mildet" to order
- Medal "100 years of Kyrgyz security services"
Related security services in foreign countries
- Russia – Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation
- United States – Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Israel – Shin Bet
- Ukraine – Security Service of Ukraine
- Belarus – State Security Committee of the Republic of Belarus
- Kazakhstan – National Security Committee of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Law enforcement in Kyrgyzstan
- Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Armed Forces of Kyrgyzstan
- Ministry of Emergency Situations (Kyrgyzstan)
- List of intelligence agencies
- Alpha Group
- User, Super. "The Kyrgyz Republic". caricc.org.
- Кадыркулов Идрис Анарбекович
- "Kyrgyzstan - National Security". www.country-data.com.
- "Kyrgyz Republic". eurasiangroup.org.
- "День работника органов национальной безопасности Кыргызстана". Calend.ru.
- "Закон КР от 11 января 1994 года №1362-XII "Об органах национальной безопасности Кыргызской Республики"". cbd.minjust.gov.kg.
- [dead link]
- Official site of the GKNB (in Russian)