State Correctional Institution – Albion
|Location||Conneaut Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania|
|Security class||Medium-Security, Close-Security|
|Population||2,274 (as of June 30, 2015)|
|Managed by||Pennsylvania Department of Corrections|
- see also the Albion Correctional Facility, New York
State Correctional Institution – Albion is a Medium-Security correctional facility for males, located in the extreme northwestern corner of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania in Erie County. SCI-Albion also holds Close-Security inmates as well.
Creation of SCI-Albion
SCI Albion was a prototype of four other similar correctional facilities constructed in the 1990s. Funding for construction was unique at the time as the Department of General Services joined Erie County in a venture to construct this facility. The county had a prison authority to float the Bond Issues and authorize payment of the bills. The Commonwealth pays for the indebtedness on a monthly payment to the county.
The Grounds at SCI Albion cover a 357-acre area, with 67 of those acres being within the perimeter fence. The grounds also includes 22 operational structures, of which contain the prison's ten (10) housing units. Housing units at SCI Albion consist of both cells and dormitory-style housing. Furthermore, there is a Special Needs Unit (SNU) and Residential Treatment Unit (RTU) at SCI Albion as well.
As of June 30, 2015, according to the Inmate Population Report listed on the PA DOC Website, There were 2,274 males incarcerated at SCI-Albion, 105 additional that its normal capacity of 2,152, thus the occupancy rate is 105.7%. The Average age of an inmate at SCI Albion is 40.51 years of age. Furthermore, the institution employs 530.
- through GED level
- Vocational Education Courses in Business Practices, Computer Technology, Custodial Maintenance, Warehouse/Material Handling, Green Environment
Inmate Support Groups
- Family/Relationship Self
- Sex Offenders
- Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD)
- Offense Related
- Mental Health Programs
- RTU (Residential Treatment Unit) Groups
Other Supports and Benefits to Inmates, Visitors, and the Surrounding Area
- Virtual Visitation
- Correctional Industries - Includes the Commissary Distribution Center, which processes, packs and ships orders to their assigned prisons and employs 90 inmates.
- Community Work Program - Inmates contributed 6,783 hours of community work in 2012 for an estimated savings to the community of $169,575.<ref name="INS Webpage"
- Penna. Department of Corrections - SCI Albion
- PA Dept. of Corrections - SCI Albion. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania http://www.cor.pa.gov/Facilities/StatePrisons/Pages/Albion.aspx#.VbA2MPlViko. Retrieved 23 July 2015. Missing or empty
- "Monthly Inmate Population" (PDF). PA Department of Corrections. PA Department of Corrections. Retrieved 23 July 2015.