|Location||West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania|
|Managed by||Pennsylvania Department of Corrections|
Construction of SCI-Mahanoy
Mahanoy was one of four 1,000-bed medium-security correctional facilities constructed in Pennsylvania around the same time. The facility cost $117 Million to construct and is on a 222-acre tract of land that was originally leased by the county commissioners. Construction began in July 1991 and the prison opened two years later.
- Joshua Komisarjevsky, convicted in the Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders
- Mark Canty, convicted in the Murder of Lauretha Vaird
- David Freeman, convicted in the Freeman family murders
- Mumia Abu-Jamal, convicted of the murder of Daniel Faulkner
- Robert Nauss, convicted of the murder of Elizabeth Lande
- "Schuylkill To Get New State Prison" – Reading Eagle, 5/8/1991 (Retrieved: 5/7/2011).