State Elementary School Menteng 01
|SDN Menteng 01|
|Hj. Hasimah M.Pd|
The school was founded in 1934 as Carpentier Alting Stichting Nassau School (CAS) by the Dutch colonial administration and was reserved for Dutch children and children of the Indonesian nobility. The Indonesian government took over administration of the school in 1962, and has since been run by the Raden Saleh Foundation.
Notable former students include the children of Bambang Trihatmodjo, son of former president Suharto, as well as the grandchildren of former vice presidents Hamzah Haz and Try Sutrisno. In 1970–71, US President Barack Obama attended the school for one and a half years. Obama's announcement of his candidacy for United States president in January, 2007 drew worldwide media attention to the school, with many media outlets sending reporters there, including The Chicago Tribune, MSNBC, and the BBC. Nedra Pickler of the Associated Press reported: "Those tied to the school say they are proud to have had a student like Obama, and hope that, if he is elected president, his ties to Indonesia will broaden his world perspective and his views on religion."
- "Profil". SDN Menteng 01. Archived from the original on 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Prodita Sabarini (2007-01-31). "Impish Obama couldn't sit still, says school pal". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- "The not-so-simple story of Barack Obama's youth - Go Playing, The White House, Thomas Jefferson - chicagotribune.com". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Barker, Kim. "Obama madrassa myth debunked - Religious Education, Barack Obama, The White House". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- "Obama debunks claim about Islamic school". MSNBC. 2007-01-25. Event occurs at 4:29 p.m. ET. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Williamson, Lucy (2008-04-19). "Jakarta classmates recall 'Barry' Obama". BBC Online.
- Pickler, Nedra (2007-01-24). "Obama challenges allegation about Islamic school". San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on 2008-05-17. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- (in Indonesian) Official Site of SDN Menteng 01