State Express Transport Corporation (Tamil Nadu)
|Public Sector Corporation under the Ministry of Transport of the State Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Industry||Public transport bus service|
|Headquarters||Tamil Nadu, Chennai|
|Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka, and Puduchery|
|Products||Bus transport, Cargo Transport, Services|
|Owner||Government of Tamil Nadu|
State Express Transport Corporation (Tamil Nadu) (formerly known as Thiruvalluvar Transport Corporation) is a state-owned transport corporation that runs long distance mofussil services exceeding 300 km and above throughout the state of Tamil Nadu and major cities in adjoining states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala and the union territory of Puduchery.
A separate entity exclusively for operating long distance express services was conceived by the Government of Tamil Nadu in 1975 and the services were transferred to the newly formed express wing of Pallavan Transport Corporation with effect from 15 September 1975. It was registered formally on 14 January 1980 and renamed as Thiruvalluvar Transport Corporation (TTC) in honor of Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar. During 1990s, JJTC was formed which operated interstate routes of erstwhile TTC. JJTC was then renamed as RGTC in 1996. Both TTC and RGTC was later merged into State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) in 1997.
|Within Tamil Nadu||Outside of Tamil Nadu|
|Locations||Chennai (CNA - (Annanagar), CNB - (Pallavan Salai) and||Thiruvananthapuram, Puducherry|
Types of services
SETC provides services at fixed rates through out the year, unlike Omni buses where fares increase multi-fold during long weekends & festivals holidays. Also, multi-fare system followed on certain types of services.
SETC offers the following types of services:
- Deluxe buses
- Ultra Deluxe (Non AC Seater with pushback)
- Ultra Deluxe with Toilet(Classic coaches)
- Air Conditioned (AC) Seater(with pushback)
- Air Conditioned (AC) Seater cum Sleeper
- Air Conditioned (AC) Sleeper
- Non-Air Conditioned Sleeper
- Non-Air Conditioned (Non-AC) Seater cum Sleeper From August 2019
SETC provides advance booking and reservation on all of its routes. The advance reservation period is 60 days before the journey date. There are options to reserve tickets online as well as in SETC counters at major locations. The travelers will be notified by SMS with conductor mobile number when the passenger list is printed at the originating station.
- "Types of services". TNSTC. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "TN Govt buses to have CCTV cameras, a/c sleeper coaches". The Hindu. PTI. 8 July 2017. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 12 June 2018.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Ashok Leyland and Tata Intercity Buses". India Travel Forum, BCMTouring. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- "SETC New Bus Launch phase 1 of 2000 buses" (PDF).
- "Bus Types".