Alabama State Route 216
|Maintained by ALDOT|
|Length:||26.1 mi (42.0 km)|
|West end:||SR-215 at Tuscaloosa|
|East end:||I-20/I-59/US 11/SR-5/SR-7 at Bucksville|
State Route 216, also known as SR-216, is a numbered state highway in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. SR-216 follows the former route of U.S. Highway 11 through eastern Tuscaloosa County. It serves as an alternate route between Bessemer and Tuscaloosa (the other routes being I-20/59 and US 11). The route was commissioned in April 1978 after ALDOT took over the route formerly maintained by Tuscaloosa County as County Road 116.
State Route 216 starts in eastern Tuscaloosa at University Boulevard (State Route 215) and Veterans' Memorial Drive and ends just as it crosses over Interstate 20/59 and U.S. Highway 11 and State Route 5 in Bucksville, just short of the Tuscaloosa-Jefferson county line. Though it connects to the twinned interstates at Exit 100, no mentioned is made of the route on interstate signage. The road continues under county maintenance into Jefferson County.
The highway passes through the coal-mining country of eastern Tuscaloosa County. The largest towns on the highway are Brookwood and Lake View. The highway is mostly narrow and windy and is known for the high number of fatal accidents on the Brookwood-to-Tuscaloosa stretch.
The entire route is in Tuscaloosa County.
|Tuscaloosa||0.0||0.0||SR 215 University Boulevard||Western terminus.|
|Bucksville||26.1||42.0||I‑20 / I‑59 / US 11 / SR 5 – Birmingham, Tuscaloosa||I-20/59 exit 100; eastern terminus.|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- General Highway Map of Tuscaloosa County (PDF) (Map). Cartography by ALDOT Bureau of Transportation Planning, Survey & Mapping Division. Alabama Department of Transportation. 1999. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-11-24.
- Watkins, Ed (April 28, 1978). "County highway renamed". The Tuscaloosa News. p. 1.
- $1.8 Million set aside for Highway 216
- Google (2009-04-28). "SR 216/Western terminus" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Google (2009-04-28). "SR 216/Eastern terminus" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2009-04-28.