Surabaya State University
|Universitas Negeri Surabaya|
Logo of State University of Surabaya
|Rector||Prof. Dr. H. Warson ,M.S.|
|Location||Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia|
The State University of Surabaya (Indonesian: Universitas Negeri Surabaya or UNESA) was formerly named IKIP Surabaya (English: Surabaya Institute of Teaching and Education Sciences) is one of the state universities that was specially designed for graduating teachers, qualified for preschool, elementary, junior high, and senior high. In 1999, IKIP Surabaya changed its name to State University of Surabaya and has two main goals: graduate education and non-education students. It has seven faculties and one graduate school, 47 undergraduate programs, 12 diploma programs, and 15 postgraduate and doctorate programs. It has approximately 24,986 students and 834 lecturers (244 undergraduates, 470 postgraduates, 76 doctoral, and 27 professors).
In 1950, UNESA was founded from B-I and B-II courses majoring in Chemical Sciences and Exact Sciences. It used classrooms and laboratories belonging to the Dutch Hogere burgerschool (HBS). That course was held to ensure the availability of junior and senior high school teachers. In 1957, B-I courses was grouped into two main groups: General B-I Courses and Special B-I Courses. The General B-I Courses included English and Germans language. The Special B-I Courses included Chemical Sciences, Exact Sciences, Economics, Technical, Sports, and Airplane Sciences; it course was held until 1960.
The B-I and B-II courses was integrated with Faculty of Education and Teacher Training (Indonesian: Fakultas Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan or FKIP) in 1960 to graduating advanced school teachers. In 1961, it was integrated with FKIP Universitas Airlangga Cabang Malang and named FKIP Universitas Airlangga Cabang Surabaya. January 3, 1963, FKIP and Institute of Teacher Training (founded in 1962) was integrated into IKIP Malang Cabang Surabaya.
December 19, 1964, IKIP Surabaya was officially established and had five faculties: Education, Social Teaching, Language Art Teaching, Exact Science Teaching, and Engineering Sciences Teaching. In 1977, the Faculty of Sports Science Teaching becomes the sixth. That year, five of six faculties changed their named become the Faculty of Languages and Art, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, and Faculty of Sport Sciences.
According to Presidential Order dated August 4, 1999, IKIP Surabaya changes its name become Universitas Negeri Surabaya. In 2006, UNESA opens a new Faculty of Economics divided from its parent's faculty, Faculty of Social Sciences. In 2014, UNESA opens two departments, Communication Sciences under Faculty of Social Sciences, and Islamic Economics under Faculty of Economic.
UNESA has two main campuses in Ketintang and Lidah Wetan, a supporting campus for Department of Extraordinary Education in Gedangan,Sidoarjo , two language centers in Ketintang Campus and Dr. Moestopo, and laboratorium schools for education-based programs from a daycare,a playgroup,a kindergarten,an elementary school, and two middle schools. UNESA has known as inclusive campus which means disabled students can study along with the normal students. It has a study and service center for disabled person, provide helps for disabled person in Surabaya area especially in the campus.
UNESA has seven faculties offering 62 study programs ranging from undergraduate level to doctorate.
- Faculty of Education
- Department of Counseling Guidance
- Department of Education Technology
- Department of Out of School Education
- Department of Extraordinary Education
- Department of Pre-school and Elementary
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Early Childhood Teacher Training Education
- Department of Education Management
- Faculty of Languages and Arts 
- Department of Indonesian Education
- Department of English Education
- Department of Germans Education
- Department of Japanese Education
- Department of Javanese Education
- Department of Mandarin Education
- Department of Drawing Art Education
- Department of Dancing Art Education
- Department of Indonesian literature
- Department of English literature
- Department of English Business
- Department of Germans literature
- Faculty of Mathematics & Natural Science 
- Faculty of Social Sciences 
- Faculty of Engineering 
- Department of Electrical Engineering Education
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Education
- Department of Building Engineering Education
- Department of Family Welfare Education
- Department of Make up Education
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Sports Sciences 
- Department of Sport Science
- Department of Health and Recreation Education
- Department of Sport Coaching Education
- Faculty of Economics 
- Department of Economics Education
- Department of Managements
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Islamic Economics
Here are several UNESA's achievements:
- Winner of 2009 Indonesia Intelligent Robotic Contest in Gadjah Mada University. Represented Indonesia in international robotic contest held at Trinity College, USA.
- Second runner-up at Pekan Ilmiah Mahasiswa Nasional 2009 in Brawijaya University, category entrepreneurship.
- 2009 National Student Sports Festival in Aceh, 11 Gold medals, 9 Silver, 10 Bronze.
- Home of 2008 Asia BMX Championship.
- Winner of 2008 Indonesia Higher Education Sports Festival, Surabaya.
- Runner up of 2008 President Cup Volley Ball Championship.
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Unesa | BAAKPSI | Mahasiswa Terdaftar Semester". Baak.unesa.ac.id. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- Ari Kurniawan. "Selayang Pandang". Unesa. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Sabbhi Satta Bhavantu Sukitata - Lika-Liku Penerapan Sistem BHP di Kampus Unesa". Alienation4freedom.multiply.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- Ari Kurniawan. "Sejarah". Unesa. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- Ari Kurniawan (2006-09-20). "Prestasi Lembaga". Unesa. Retrieved 2012-03-10.