Statehood Day (Croatia)
Croatian flags on Statehood Day, 2007
|Official name||Croatian: Dan državnosti|
|Significance||Anniversary of the 1991 declaration of independence from Yugoslavia|
|Next time||25 June 2019|
Statehood Day (Croatian: Dan državnosti pronounced [dan dr̩ʒaʋnosti]) is a holiday that occurs every year on 25 June in Croatia to celebrate the country's 1991 declaration of independence from Yugoslavia. The Statehood Day is the national day of Croatia, being both an official holiday and a day off work.
After the independence referendum held on 19 May 1991, the Croatian Parliament formally proclaimed independence with Ustavna odluka o suverenosti i samostalnosti Republike Hrvatske, lit. the Constitutional decision on sovereignty and independence of the Republic of Croatia.
The Statehood Day originally used to be 30 May, marking the day when in 1990 the first post-Communist multi-party Parliament was constituted. There was some controversy in the public regarding which date is more suitable for the day of the statehood. Since 2002, 25 June has prevailed as the Statehood Day, and 30 May is marked a minor holiday, one that is not an off-day.
This holiday is not to be confused with Croatia's Independence Day, which is marked each year on 8 October. The independence was proclaimed on 25 June, but due to the negotiation of the Brioni Agreement a three-month moratorium was placed on the implementation of the decision and the Parliament cut all remaining ties with Yugoslavia in October.
- Croatian Parliament (2002-11-21). "Zakon o blagdanima, spomendanima i neradnim danima u Republici Hrvatskoj". Narodne novine (in Croatian) (136/2002). Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Ustavna odluka Sabora Republike Hrvatske o suverenosti i samostalnosti Republike Hrvatske (25. lipnja 1991.)". Povijest saborovanja (in Croatian). Croatian Parliament. 1991-06-25. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- Croatian Parliament (1991-05-26). "Ustavna odluka Sabora Republike Hrvatske o suverenosti i samostalnosti Republike Hrvatske". Narodne novine (in Croatian) (31/1991). Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Dan državnosti – Tri rođendana: Svaki datum ima povijesno značenje za Hrvatsku". Večernji list (in Croatian). 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Odluka Sabora Republike Hrvatske o raskidu državno-pravne sveze s ostalim republikama i pokrajinama SFRJ (8. listopada 1991.)" [Decision of the Parliament of the Republic of Croatia on the termination of all state and legal ties with other republics and provinces of SFRY (8 October 1991)]. Povijest saborovanja (in Croatian). Croatian Parliament. 1991-10-08. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Hrvatska proslavila Dan državnosti". Poslovni dnevnik (in Croatian). 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Dan državnosti: Ivo Josipović, Jadranka Kosor i Luka Bebić na Ovčari". Jutarnji list (in Croatian). 2011-06-25. Retrieved 2011-06-25.