Stateless (TV series)
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Editor(s)||Mark Atkin |
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Picture format||720p HDTV|
|First shown in||Australia|
|Original release||1 March 2020|
The series centres on four strangers in an immigration detention centre in the Australian desert: an airline hostess escaping a suburban cult, an Afghan refugee fleeing persecution, a young Australian father escaping a dead-end job and a bureaucrat caught up in a national scandal. When their lives intersect they are pushed to the brink of sanity, yet unlikely and profound emotional connections are made amongst the group.
After the sixth and final episode, the epilogue states the program was based upon true stories about Australian immigration detention. After an Australian woman citizen was found detained within the system, a public inquiry revealed the need for reform. An independent review set fair and equitable policy with respect for human dignity. Since 2012, boat asylum seekers are detained in offshore immigration centres. There is restricted access to these centres. Australia is not alone with immigration issues. Worldwide over 70 million people seek sanctuary from war and persecution with half of them being children.
- Yvonne Strahovski as Sofie Werner
- Asher Keddie as Claire Kowitz
- Fayssal Bazzi as Ameer
- Marta Dusseldorp as Margot
- Dominic West as Gordon
- Cate Blanchett as Pat
- Jai Courtney as Cam Sandford
- Soraya Heidari as Mina
- Rachel House as Harriet
- Kate Box as Janice
- Clarence Ryan as Sully
- Claude Jabbour as Farid
- Rose Riley as Sharee
- Helana Sawires as Rosna
- Darren Gilshenan as Brian Ashworth
- Calvin Mwita as Taifa Duale
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||Australia viewers|
|1||"The Circumstances in Which They Come"||Emma Freeman||Elise McCredie||1 March 2020||441,000|
|2||"Incognita"||Emma Freeman||Elise McCredie||8 March 2020||363,000|
|3||"The Right Thing"||Emma Freeman||Belinda Chayko||15 March 2020||390,000|
|4||"Run Sofie Run"||Jocelyn Moorhouse||Elise McCredie||22 March 2020||430,000|
|5||"Panis Angelicus"||Jocelyn Moorhouse||Belinda Chayko||29 March 2020||409,000|
|6||"The Seventh Circle"||Jocelyn Moorhouse||Elise McCredie||5 April 2020||469,000|
Stateless had its world premiere at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival, in the new Series section, along with Mystery Road Series 2. The Australian television channel ABC premiered the series in Australia soon afterwards. Netflix will release the series globally.
- "Stateless - The Screen Guide". Screen Australia. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- Knox, David (16 January 2020). "Airdate: Stateless". TV Tonight. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- "Stateless". Radiotimes. 7 July 2020. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Keane, Daniel (1 March 2020). "Cornelia Rau, Australia's immigration wars and the true story behind TV drama Stateless". ABC News. Retrieved 13 April 2020.
- Knox, David (15 May 2019). "All-star cast for ABC drama Stateless". TV Tonight. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- "Stateless – Listings". Next Episode. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
- Knox, David (2 March 2020). "Sunday 1 March 2020". TV Tonight. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Knox, David (9 March 2020). "Sunday 8 March 2020". TV Tonight. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- Knox, David (16 March 2020). "Sunday 15 March 2020". TV Tonight. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- Knox, David (23 March 2020). "Sunday 22 March 2020". TV Tonight. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- Knox, David (30 March 2020). "Sunday 29 March 2020". TV Tonight. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- Knox, David (6 April 2020). "Sunday 5 April 2020". TV Tonight. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- Zhou, Debbie (27 February 2020). "'People are starting to wake up': Berlin film festival spotlights Australia's 'unfinished business'". the Guardian. Retrieved 22 March 2020.
- "World premieres for Stateless and Mystery Road at Berlin International Film Festival". ABC. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 15 January 2020. Retrieved 22 March 2020.
- Ravindran, Manori; Ravindran, Manori (25 February 2020). "Netflix Swoops In for Global Rights to Cate Blanchett Refugee Drama 'Stateless' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- Kanter, Jake; Kanter, Jake (25 February 2020). "'Stateless': Cate Blanchett Reveals Why TV Is The Perfect Medium For Her Netflix-Acquired Refugee Drama". Deadline. Retrieved 25 February 2020.