States of South Sudan
|States of South Sudan|
|Location||Republic of South Sudan|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The States of South Sudan were created out of the three historic former provinces (and contemporary regions) of Bahr el Ghazal (northwest), Equatoria (southern), and Greater Upper Nile (northeast). The 28 states are further divided into 180 counties.
In October 2015, South Sudan's President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 previously established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number[who?] of opposition parties challenged the constitutionality of this decree and the decree was referred to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament approved the creation of the new states.
Bahr el Ghazal
Greater Upper Nile
- - containing the national capital city of Juba
- - earlier called Eastern Bieh
- - earlier called Western Bieh
- - earlier called Western Nile
|Northern Bahr el Ghazal||Aweil||820,834||30,543.30||26.87||Bahr el Ghazal|
|Western Bahr el Ghazal||Wau||358,692||91,075.95||3.94||Bahr el Ghazal|
|Lakes||Rumbek||782,504||43,595.08||17.95||Bahr el Ghazal|
|Warrap||Kuajok||1,044,217||45,567.24||22.92||Bahr el Ghazal|
|Jonglei||Bor||1,443,500||122,580.83||11.78||Greater Upper Nile|
|Unity||Bentiu||645,465||37,836.39||17.06||Greater Upper Nile|
|Upper Nile||Malakal||1,013,629||77,283.42||13.12||Greater Upper Nile|
On 22 December 2014, rebel leader and former vice president Riek Machar declared the 10 states of South Sudan dissolved and the formation of 21 new states in a federal system. The declaration was not recognised by the South Sudanese government. The Sudan Tribune reported on 1 January 2015 that Machar appointed "military governors" for several of his declared states.
- List of current state governors in South Sudan
- ISO 3166-2:SS
- States of Sudan — of the (northern) Republic of Sudan.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "Statistical Yearbook for Southern Sudan 2010" (PDF). Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- "Uganda: Citizens in Uganda Welcome Rebel Formation of 21 States". allAfrica.com. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "South Sudan: Machar Appoints Top Rebel Command, State Governors". allAfrica.com. 1 January 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Subdivisions of South Sudan.|
Media related to Maps of states of South Sudan at Wikimedia Commons
- "States of South Sudan". Statoids.