This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
(September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Static apnea (STA) is a discipline in which a person holds their breath (apnea) underwater for as long as possible, and need not swim any distance. Static apnea is defined by the International Association for Development of Apnea (AIDA International) and is distinguished from the Guinness World Record for breath holding underwater, which allows the use of oxygen in preparation. It requires that the respiratory tract be immersed, with the body either in the water or at the surface, and may be performed in a pool or open water (sea, lake, river, etc.). Static apnea is the only AIDA International discipline measuring duration, and one of the three disciplines considered for the international competitions by team, with constant weight and dynamic with fins.
All time list
|11:54||Branko Petrović||7 October 2014||Dubai, UAE||Guinness *|
|11:35||Stéphane Mifsud||8 June 2009||La Crau, France||AIDA|
|10:31||Florian Dagoury||13 March 2020||Koh Tao, Thailand||AIDA|
|10:12||Tom Sietas||7 June 2008||Athens, Greece|
|10:07||Aleix Segura||19 June 2015||Belgrade, Serbia||AIDA|
|10:03.96||Mateusz Malina||26 March 2018||Dubai, UAE||12th Fazza competition|
|09:58.66||Goran Čolak **||16 June 2017||Cagliari, Italy||CMAS|
* Branko Petrović also has 10:45.0 under CMAS (2017., Subotica, Serbia) and 10:23 under AIDA.
** Goran Čolak also has 11:06.14 and 10:19 under special rules at 12th and 11th Fazza freediving competition respectively, in Dubai, UAE.
|09:02||Natalia Molchanova||21 June 2013||AIDA|
|08:53||Veronika Dittes||15 June 2017||CMAS|
|08:33||Gabriela Grézlová||28 July 2015||CMAS|
|08:01||Jessea Wenjie Lu||27 August 2016||AIDA|
With pure oxygen – record progression
There is a variation of the static apnea discipline where it's possible to breathe 100% oxygen for up to 30 minutes prior to the breathhold. This is not part of formal competitions, but is occasionally used to set individual records.
|24:33||Budimir Šobat||March 31, 2021|||
|24:11||Budimir Šobat||24 February 2018||Zagreb, Croatia||Guinness|
|24:03||Aleix Segura||28 February 2016||Barcelona, Spain||Guinness|
|23:09||Aleix Segura||16 February 2016||Barcelona, Spain||Guinness|
|23:01||Goran Čolak||20 June 2014||Vir, Croatia||Guinness|
|22:30||Goran Čolak||29 September 2013||Zagreb, Croatia||Guinness|
|22:22||Tom Sietas||30 May 2012||Changsha, China||Guinness|
|22:00||Stig Severinsen||3 May 2012||London, United Kingdom|
|21:33||Peter Colat||17 September 2011||Ebikon, Switzerland||Guinness|
|20:21||Ricardo Bahia||16 September 2010||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Guinness|
|20:10||Stig Severinsen||1 April 2010||Kattegatcentret, Denmark||Guinness|
|19:21||Peter Colat||14 Feb 2010||St. Gallen, Switzerland||Guinness|
|19:02||Nicola Putignano||21 May 2009||Milano, Italy||Guinness|
|W||18:32||Karol Meyer||10 July 2009||Florianópolis, Brasil||Guinness|
|18:03||Gianluca Genoni||26 November 2008||Italy|
|17:19||Tom Sietas||19 September 2008||New York City, United States||Guinness|
|17:04||David Blaine||30 April 2008||Chicago, United States||Guinness|
|16:32||Peter Colat||10 February 2008||St. Gallen, Switzerland||AIDA|
|16:13||Tom Sietas||23 February 2008||Madrid, Spain||Guinness|
|16:04||Peter Colat||10 February 2007||St. Gallen, Switzerland||AIDA|
|14:12||Tom Sietas||5 January 2006||Milano, Italy||Guinness|
|13:05||Bill Strömberg||3 October 2004||Lausanne, Switzerland||AIDA|
|12:47||Giancarlo Bellingrath||15 June 2003||Naples, Italy|
|12:34||Gianluca Genoni||11 May 2002||Busto Arsizio, Italy|
- McKie, N (2004). "Freediving in cyberspace". Journal of the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society. 34: 101–3. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Granice maksimalne izvedbe u ronjenju na dah". Podvodni.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- "New World Record Static apnea (STA)". Freedive Earth.
- "Veljano Zanki 3.mjesto na Fazza Freediving 2018 | Ronilački klub "Split"". www.rksplit.hr. Archived from the original on 2018-08-26. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- "EP: Goran Čolak srušio svjetski rekord i osvojio dvije zlatne medalje!". 16 June 2017.
- "Croatian Diver Goran Čolak Wins in Dubai".
- "gulftoday.ae | Colak sets new record at Fazza Freediving C'ship". gulftoday.ae. Archived from the original on 2018-08-26. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- AIDA disciplines definitions
- AIDA world records
- Are you in the mood for Freediving with Stephane Mifsud ? (W.R static 11'35")
- Goran Čolak sets new Guinnrss World Record Breath Hold 22 minutes and 30 seconds