Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1977
|Long title||An Act to promote the reform of the statute law by the repeal, in accordance with recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission, of certain enactments which (except in so far as their effect is preserved) are no longer of practical utility; and to facilitate the citation of statutes.|
|Citation||1977 c 18|
|Introduced by||Lord Elwyn-Jones LC|
|Royal assent||16 June 1977|
|Commencement||16 June 1977|
This Act was partly in force in Great Britain at the end of 2010.
It implemented recommendations contained in the eighth report on statute law revision, by the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.
Section 4(2) was repealed by Group 2 of Part IX of Schedule 1 to the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
In section 4(3), the words from "or the Isle of Man" to the end were repealed by Group 2 of Part IX of Schedule 1 to the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
Orders under this section
The power conferred by section 4(3) was exercised by the Statute Law Repeals (Isle of Man) Order 1984 (SI 1984/1692).
The Orders in Council made under section 4(3) have lapsed because of the repeal made to that section by the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
This Schedule was repealed by Group 2 of Part IX of Schedule 1 to the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
This Schedule authorised the citation by short titles of eight Acts passed between 1808 and 1868. This Schedule was repealed by section 1(1) of, and Part IV of Schedule 1 to, the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1995.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 794.
- Peter Allsop (General editor). Current Law Statutes Annotated 1977. Sweet & Maxwell, Stevens & sons. London. W Green & son. Edinburgh. 1977.
- The Public General Acts and General Synod Measures 1977. HMSO. London. 1978. Part I. Pages 241 to 278.
- HL Deb vol 379, cols 629 and 1036 to 1039, vol 382, col 695, HC Deb vol 932, col 1746.
- The citation of this Act by this short title is authorised by section 5 of this Act.
- HL Deb vol 379 col 629
- The Acts of Parliament (Commencement) Act 1793
- The Chronological Table of the Statutes, 1235 - 2010. The Stationery Office. 2011. ISBN 978-0-11-840509-6. Part II. Page 1369, read with pages viii and x of Part I.
- The Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission. Statute Law Revision: Eighth Report. Law Com 80. SLC 44. Cmnd 6719. HMSO. London. January 1977.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 795.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|